Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Phongsali

• kahrani

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

I'm going to Laos for about a month from mid-Feb to mid March and was thinking about going to Phongsali to do some trekking. Two questions really:

1) I'm a solo female traveller, will Phongsali be okay to go to on my own?
    2) I'd really like to travel down the Nam Ou from Phongsali (well, Hat Sa)to Muang Ngoi and then down to Luang Prabang - but will this be possible at the end of Feb/start of March? I read that the river level could get quite low.

Or should I skip Phongsali and just do treks around Muang Ngoi/ Nong Kiaow instead?

Thanks xx

#1 Posted: 20/11/2008 - 17:52

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

1) had no problems doing that alone (Udomxai-Phongsaly-Hatsa-Muang Khua). not many tourists, locals tend to leave you alone to do your own thing.

#2 Posted: 20/11/2008 - 22:46

• paz_raveh

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008
    Location Israel

hello,
    phongsali is the best place to trek, there is nothing to do there beside treking, as for you travelleing on your own there should be no problem at all the lao people are very frindly and will not harm you.
    if i understand you want to go from oudomxai to pongsali by bus and then take a boat down from hat sa.
    well i this that becuse the roads are so bad it is better to go up the river from nong kiaow (you can take a mini bus from luang parbung) and then go no mung ngoi and moung khwa and from there to hat sa.
    and on the way back to take a bus from moung kwa.
    the boat ride on the nam oh river is amazing!
    if you want to trek you can do it in eatch town on the way (beside hat sa) i did it and all of them where an amazing exprience!
    if you want to talk with a very nice treeking guide in phongsali this is his tel- 020 5042733
    and e-mail: somsanith@live.com
    if you have more qutions i will be happy to help you
    paz from israel

#3 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 15:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.