Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Teaching in Laos/"Work" Visa

• michael77

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone out there in the ether can provide me with some information. My partner and I are currently contemplating a long-term move to Vientiane. An Aussie citizen, she was recently proffered a two-year position and I am currently scouring the Internet for jobs so that I may join her. As some of you may have already gathered, my search has not been especially promising. I have a B.A. in journalism and an M.A. in history, both from Temple University in Philadelphia. I am also contemplating enrolling in a three-day TESOL certificate workshop conducted by the University of Pennsylvania so as to make my candidacy for a teaching position more attractive. So, does anyone have any suggestions regarding a job search conducted from the United States?

Barring a successful job search from the U.S., does anyone currently in-country or with work experience in Laos know the ins-and-outs of the country's visa policies? For instance, were I to travel to Vientiane on a tourist visa with the hope of finding a job while on the ground, is it possible - though perhaps not easy - to switch said tourist visa to a work visa? I've been informed that jobs abound in Vientiane, but one probably needs to be there to take advantage of the opportunities.

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 03:29

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I live and work here. Jobs do not abound in Laos and it is quite difficult to get a job. You will find practically nothing on the internet and "yes" you really do need to be here to make the most of any opportunities that arise.
    Send me an email to the following address and I will give you a few contacts; replace all the incorrect characters

ronlel

at

em ess en (delete the e"'s and write as one word

dot

com

Sorry about this but I have been getting a lot of spam on this account recently.

#2 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 08:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.