Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary advice please.

• Aran

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2008

Hi Folks,

This my first post on this great website. I have been reading a lot of posts and enjoyed them thoroughly as there is a lovely informed atmosphere in this forum.

I was hoping somebody might be able to offer some itinerary advice.

I will be traveling with my 14 year old daughter for a month. My vague plan is to introduce my daughter to some culture and scenery with maybe a bit of rafting, jungle and temples. Then after a couple of weeks of that bring her to the Islands for a couple of well deserved weeks on the beach with some diving. We are landing in Bangkok in about 10 days time. This is a special dad & daughter only holiday (work commitments, younger sister, school etc.) so I don’t mind pulling out all the stops and getting flights where necessary.

So here is the provisional plan:

Land in Bangkok spend the night.

Next day fly to either Vientanne Or Luang Prabang. (can’t decide)

Spend 5 – 7 days in Laos

Fly to Siem Reip

Spend 3 days in temples of Angkor Wat.

Fly to Koh Samui - boat to Koh Phagnan

Couple of weeks on Koh Phagnan

Work out getting back to Bangkok then.

#1 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 23:34

• Advertisement

• Aran

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2008

Sorry but just had an after thought..

Perhaps instead of flying to Siem reip from Luang Prabang we could spend the week discovering Laos by going overland to Cambodia and still get a good feel for Laos

#2 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 02:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Aran,

Glad you like the site - thanks!

First, if you do end up flying all those legs, then look into Bangkok Airway's Discovery Airpass. If you've got just the week in Laos, I'd lean towards flying to Luang Prabang, spending say four nights there, then down to Vang Vieng for two nights (I'd imagine floating down the river there in an inner tube, would be a hit with a 14yo) then a night in Vientiane before flying onwards.

If you decide to overland down to Cambodia, I'd allow a week from Vientiane onwards, allowing two nights in Tha Khaek / surrounds to visit Kong Lo Cave and then three nights in 4,000 islands and two nights in Phnom Penh. That will cut into your island time though!

Hope that helps, more questions, ask away!

#3 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 07:55

• Aran

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2008

Thanks, very helpful.

Going to Bee line it to Luang Prabang , see what's in the surrounding area then head to Vang Vieng as you are right my daughter (and me) will love the inner tube thing.

I leave it open about overland or not to Cambodia and see how much we are enjoying the getting from Luang Prabang to Vientiane overland before deciding.

I just tried to book a flight to Luang Prabang with Lao Airline and their website really doesn't work very well and can't even get the price up. Then tried Bangkok airways and they are quite expensive..

I was wondering if it's possible just to book flights at the airports the day before or on the day of travel?

That would leave us very flexible with our travel plans and would mean if we really liked somewhere we could hang about a bit longer and we wouldn't be stressed at the fact it takes a whole day to travel 100km.

#4 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 19:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.