Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Accurate and conclusive info on Visa's

• Flymarbles

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

I have found that the The U.S. Department of State's website is great for conclusive information on Entry Requirements. Someone had posted the website on this forum before, but I wanted to post it again because I had found it to be straight-to-the-point and accurate. Just thought I would be of some help.

http://travel.state.gov/

#1 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the link and it's probably a good resource for general travel advise, health and govt warnings, but the visa and border crossing info is a bit patchy.

For example:
    Thailand: It states a 30-day visa free entry into Thailand is available for Americans -- that is the case only if you are flying in -- if you enter Thailand by land you are entitled to only 15 days.

Laos: The list of border crossings it has for visa on arrival is incorrect.

Vietnam: It incorrectly states that visas on arrival are not available -- they are -- if organised beforehand via a Vietnamese travel agent.

Hate to toot our own horn, but the Travelfish visa and border crossing FAQ is a pretty handy resource when it comes specifically to visa and border crossing advice.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 05:37

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Flymarbles, if you think Somtam is just blowing his own trumpet - Governemnt websites are usually one of the WORST, not best and most accurate sources of information. This includes health and political warnings and visa information.

#3 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 12:42

• Flymarbles

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

Somtam, Thank you for the Visa and border crossing FAQ link. I realize I was being slightly ignorant when stating that the US Dept of state was conclusive in its information. Thanks again

#4 Posted: 14/12/2008 - 03:15

• joble81

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

So using this thread to piggyback on....does anyone know the cheap way of getting a cambodian visa from laos. I'm here now, and it is costing US$40 from a guesthouse. but i feel that price is inflated. can anyone tell me where you were able to perhaps get one cheaper? someone suggested the cambodian embassy in vientiane? not sure where it is though. I'm in vang viang now until new years day then luang prabang, then vientiene for one more day, so happy to get this wherever I can.

OR....better yet...which border crossing from 4000 islands can i get my visa at....i was confused as i'd heard so many different things, and no one here can even really answer whether it was all accurate according to the lonely planet...hmmm...

thanks in advance :)
    Jo :)

#5 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 22:28

• chewiee

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2008

Jo,

$40 is a bit over inflated. The Visa is $20 + processing. Depending on your entry point you can get an e-visa.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx

#6 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 04:19

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Flymarbles

Rufus is spot on on this one.

The absolutely LAST place I'd go for information about travel to/in another place is a website by a paranoid schizophrenic government.

Not only does the US use its machinery to advance its propoganda, it arm-twists fellow governments to do the same. Example, the gov't in my country (Australia).

So bad has been the information about SE Asian nations by both the US and Australian websites that many SE Asian nations have made formal (diplomatic) and public statements to seek the governments to recant.

Indonesia has been treated so badly that it has resorted to advertising on television here in Australia that the Australian Foreign Affairs & US State 'advices' are misleading and wrong. And, financially hurting the Indonesian tourist economy.

cheers

#7 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 06:46

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

http://www.tourismlaos.gov.la/entering-laos.htm

has some visa info, altho a little vague

#8 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 16:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.