Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Crazy Question....

Posted by Flymarbles on 14/12/2008 at 05:51

Hypothetically, if your were to Elope in Luang Prabang, Laos. Where would you have the ceremony... how would you go about doing it...and if you only have three weeks until you go, is it still possible?

Any expert advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#1 Flymarbles has been a member since 25/11/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by Rufus on 14/12/2008 at 15:12

I take it this is with a Laos girl? If so the answer is "you can't". Arranging the marraige papers takes up to a year, depending on whom you bribe and how much.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by Flymarbles on 14/12/2008 at 15:42

Rufus, actually it is not with a Laos girl. We are both from the U.S. and wanted to do something a litle bit different. So I was wondering how difficult something like this would be to arrange. Thanks again for your response

#3 Flymarbles has been a member since 25/11/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 14/12/2008 at 18:15

Getting married in Thailand is easy and not far form Loas. You can register the marraige in Bangkok say, OR have a full-on buddhist ceremony or a beach wedding.

#4 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by Rufus on 15/12/2008 at 09:37

Regarding a western marriage. Very difficult to manage in Laos. I would suggest the following. Have a Barsi ceremony to bless your union; this can be arranged for you by your hotel. It is a very nice and moving ceremony. If you are not sure what a Barsi is, look it up on the web, however I can tell you it is very common here in Laos on any important occasion - births, marriages, long trips, house moving etc etc. However get married in your own country

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.