Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Help with Cambodia and Laos itinerary

• travelleruk0

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2008

First of all this is a great site!

Just started planning for a trip to Cambodia and Laos in possibly October/November 2009. Originally I planned a 14 day trip but this is not looking reasonable with all the places I'm considering. Consequently my trip is up to 17 days. This site has given me huge amount of ideas but I still need some input. My holiday priorities are Ankor Wat, Luang Prabang and visiting a place with beautiful green mountainous waterside scenery like Vang Vieng. So here is my first shot at an itinery:

1 Arrive in Bangkok

2 Fly Bangkok to Luang Prabang

3 LP

4 LP

5 bus to Vang Vieng

6 VV

7 VV

8 bus to Vientiane

9 Vientiane

10 Fly to Phnom Penh

11 Phnom Penh

12 Phnom Penh

13 Bus to Ankor wat

14 Ankor wat

15 Ankor wat

16 bus to Bangkok

17 Fly from Bangkok

Is this too much in too short a time? I've taken more days than I've planned already, but if adding another couple of days will make a world of difference then I'll do it. Are there missible places on my list for example Phnom Penh? I included VV because its decription of the scenery sounds exactly what I'm after. The backpacking hub put me off a little but I'm sure I would enjoy the atmosphere anyhow. Are there places close to Luang Prabang that are just as mountainous and beautiful as VV. Maybe I could skip VV and save some time or use it else where. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

travelleruk0

#1 Posted: 14/12/2008 - 21:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi travelleruk0 -- glad you like the site ;-)

Your plan is certainly doable -- with all the flying around, I'd definitely look into the Discovery Airpass.

My only suggestion would be to take one day off Vang Vieng and give it to Luang Prabang but that's really a minor tweak. Phnom Penh is certainly worth at least two nights.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 05:37

• travelleruk0

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2008

Thanks for the quick reply somtam2000. Another question, I know October/November is at the end of the rainy season and I don't mind a few hours of rain a day, but will road travel be likely affected around this time? I'm particularly worried about the LP -> VV -> Vientiane section in the rainy season.

Thanks

travelleruk0

#3 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 03:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Road should be fine -- it's in a pretty reasonable state nowadays. I wouldn't be worried.

#4 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 10:10

• joble81

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

Is there a site I can go to, for info on travel between Vientiane to phonsaven to luang prubang to Vang Vieng and back to Vientiane ? and then where should we go from there? we are heading south to the 4000 islands and then doing the border crossing down there. We are goign through to cambodia and spending 2 weeks in cambodia.

We will have 2 weeks in laos and then 2 in cambodia but aren't really sure if it would be possible to add a half week to our laos itinerary and cut it off cambodia but still see enough? We've seen siem reap last year for 4 days, so i really just want to go there for one night - but this is not needed.

any help would be appreciated...I'm most interested in a site for travel via bus or boat with lots of info. I'm looking through the threads...slowly :) thanks! Jo :)

#5 Posted: 24/12/2008 - 06:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jo,

Have you looked through the Cambodia and Laos sections of this site? Most of the info you're asking after is there -- the messageboard is only a small portion of the site.

#6 Posted: 24/12/2008 - 08:44

• Intrepid82

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

travelleruko I am planning a similar trip in November/December. I hope to get to see the Plain of Jars as well as the places you have mentioned. I am also considering a tour of Vietnam if I can get away with it but am finding it difficult to figure out travel times between major destinations!

#7 Posted: 21/4/2009 - 11:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Intrepid82 - see the suggested itinerary section for Vietnam (in b4uleave bit at the top of the page) -- that breaks out some of the trip times.

#8 Posted: 21/4/2009 - 11:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.