Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos trip itinerary. Please review and advice if needed

Posted by v_sokolov on 27/12/2008 at 20:15

Dear Laos experienced travelers,

I am planing on doing a maximum 30 days trip in Laos starting around the middle of January. I am a temporary resident of China ( a student) so i am planing to enter in Laos from Kunming (Boten). Here it is my plan:

1.China Mengla - Luang Nam Tha
2.Luang Nam Tha - Udomxai
3.Udomxai - Muang Ngoi (have not figured out how exactly to get there but i guess there is a some way by boat).
4.Muang Ngoi - Phongsali
5.Phongsali - Nong Kiaow
6.Nong Kiaow - Luang Prabang
7.Luang Prabang - Phonsavan
8.Phonsavan - Vang Vieng
9.Vang Vieng - Vientiane
10.Vientiane - Luang Prabang
11.Luang Prabang - Huay Xai
12.Huay Xai - Luang Nam Tha
13.Luang Nam Tha - Muang Sing
14.Muang Sing - Luang Nam Tha
15.Luang Nam Tha - China

I guess that this trip with "taking my time" will take me around 20-25 days to complete. Here i have some questions:

1. Is it very cold in Phongsali during January and is it worth traveling 2 days by boat to see it? I am not a big trekking fan, but if the scenery on the way and in the city is worth ed i would like to go.

2. Would you remove or add any places to visit to the itinerary?

3. Which is the best way to reach Muang Ngoi? From Udomxai or Luang Prabang?

4. I read that a mosquito repellent and a net are important. Do they sell them in Luang Nam Tha or i have to look for them in China?

5. Do you have any relevant information that any ATM in Laos accepts VISA cards?

Thank you for your attention and taking time to read all that. Thanks in advance for any answers and advices!

Have a nice day!

#1 v_sokolov has been a member since 27/12/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2008 at 05:39 admin

Hi,

1) Yes it will be cold -- especially in the evening -- but still worth it.

2) I'd suggest rearranging the trip a little as follows:
2.Luang Nam Tha - Udomxai
3. Udomxai - Phongsali (by bus)
4. Phongsali to Hat Sa and then boat south via Muang Khua to Muang Ngoi
5. Muang Ngoi - Nong Kiaow
6.Nong Kiaow - Luang Prabang

You should be able to buy a mosquito net in any market, though you'll find many places will have them anyway.

Both Lunag Nam Tha and Udomxai have ATMs -- see this website for more info

More questions, ask away!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.