Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Louang Prabang to Phonsavan or Vang Vieng?

• ChrisM48

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2006

Would appreciate some advice. Am considering flying to Phonasavan (want to see Plain of Jars) from L/Prabang and then bussing over a few days down to Vientiane via Vang Vieng. Alternately, may fly from Phonsavan direct to Vientiane. Only have 5/6 days on this part of trip.
    Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 2/1/2009 - 09:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well you only need one full day to take in Plain of Jars, so 5-6 days leaves room for one half by plane, other by bus. You may find this story about Plain of Jars of interest too.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 07:30

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

I did a similar trip back in 2004, going from LP to Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars then on to Vientiane . It was great, and I thought that PofJ was really something special.

Having said that, I had about 4 more days than you have available, and there is so much to see and do in Luang Prabang alone that you could easily spend the entire time in that area.

Don't sell Vientiane short either. There are heaps of great temples, museums, culture shows, and just everyday life to keep you busy for several days too.

Given the timeframe you have, I suspect you'll have to fly. Lao Airways doesn't list the LP to Xieng Khouang (the name for Phonsavan ) route on its route list, but it shows it on its route map and also shows a stopover in Xieng Khouang on one of the flights to/from LP and VTE.

Like Somtam says, you can easily knock out the tours of the PofJ and explore the town in a 24-hour period, although two nights and one full day might be more ideal.

I think Rufus is the in-house expert on Laos these days and has been very generous checking out details for others on their trips to Laos.

Either way, given the brief amount of time you have, I'd recommend flying both the LP to PofJ and PofJ to VTE legs of this journey if you can.

Alternatively, you can skip PofJ, which gives you the choice of a quick and scenic flight from LP to VTE or a long but amazing all-day bus ride along the same route. Have fun.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 07:56

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I can't really add much to the above, except that the POJ is definitely worth seeing - well imo anyway. I have heard and read that some people find it boring; most find it fascination. POJ can be done in one day, but really you should spend a night and see Old Xieng Khouan as well. personally I find the whole area interesting as I have rarely seen such lush country.
    Anyway, given your time frame as Exacto says, I would fly.

#4 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 10:06

• Intrepid82

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

I've looked on the Lao Airline website and the domestic routes shown here do not include flights to / from Phonsavan.

Can you tell me which airline/s fly there?
    I would ideally like to fly from Pakse....

#5 Posted: 23/4/2009 - 10:22

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

There are no flights to Phonsavan. Look for Xieng Khouan. I am not sure if you can fly there from Pakse. 25 minute flight from Vientiane though.

#6 Posted: 23/4/2009 - 17:19

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Lao Airlines offers flights to Xieng Khouang/ Phonsavan but they discontinued their regular flights between Phonsavan and Luang Prabang due to a lack of demand. During the peak season, however, they do fly once per week. Oh, and as Rufus posted, no direct flights betwix Phonsavan/XK and Pakse. YOu have to connect via Vieng Chang.

#7 Posted: 1/5/2009 - 06:44

• PeterM

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi Guys,

We are in the process of organizing our Laos trip and plan to hire a private minivan tour from Luang Prabang to Phonsavan (leaving Fri Nov 13 for 6 hr trip),2nd day do Plain of Jars tour, 3rd day local tour before afternoon flight out to Vientiane (Sun Nov 15)- We could use someone else to help share cost of minivan - I guess you could go back to Luang Prabang withteh mini van - ANYBODY INTERESTED

#8 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 16:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vang Vieng or Vieng Xai and Phonsavan ... By coralidiote on 6 Dec 2013 2 549 13 Dec 2013
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 900 16 Aug 2013
Louang Phabang-Phonsavan-SouthernLaos- Hoi An ... By jackieanddavid on 27 Sep 2009 2 2261 28 Sep 2009
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng ... By NEILEIO on 29 Aug 2008 2 4974 1 Sep 2008
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 4031 23 Jul 2012
Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang ... By Lars on 11 Oct 2007 5 4872 17 Oct 2007
Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng ... By 21days on 17 Dec 2009 0 4550 17 Dec 2009
Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire ... By dclayw on 23 Jul 2009 7 6152 24 Jul 2009
Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang ... By ruthmoore on 18 Nov 2007 5 12876 26 Aug 2010
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng with 2 kids - need advice ... By alainj on 2 Jul 2010 1 4350 2 Jul 2010