Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Increased Visa Charges.

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

There has been an increas in visa charges which started on 1/1/2009.
    The following is paraphrased from the Vientiane Times:
    $2.00 extra. Tour companies will no longer be charged 5% profit tax to flow into the Tourism development Fund.
    Those who enter on a border pass will pay $1.00 ie Thailand, Viet, Cambo, Myanmar and China. Diplomatic, official or business travel will be exempt.
    Will come into effect on 1/1/2009
    No visas required for Japan, Sth Korea, Russia and most Asean countries.
    Other visas currently cost from $30 to $42

Technically I guess that tours should now cost less. I wouldn't hold my breath for tour companies to cut prices though.
    Ron

#1 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 10:13

• Advertisement

• sologirl

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

The question of Laos visa has come up in my preparations to head into the country sometime in the next few months.
    I read that the visa had now been extended to 30 days and the travelfish info board on visa requirements etc. says yes, this is so.
    I have a friend who has just gone into Laos & said you must FLY in to get the 30 day visa - an overland was 15 days only.
    Was he just unaware that he could insist on the 30 day at the border? And will I get any hassle if I request the 30 day on an overland crossing? It just isn't practical for me to fly in esp. when I'm going to be so close from here in Thailand.
    Thank you.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 15:12

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes, the visa is for 30 days.
    Afaik you can get a 30 day visa on the border as well with no problems.

#3 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 08:20

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I'll double that. 30 days on arrival when you come into Laos.

Sologirl ... what your friend said is true for Thailand.

And, if you arrive before the border "technically" opens, or after it has "technically" closed, or if you arrive on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, you will be charged an extra 10,000 Kip. It's officially called "Overtime." Other posts say that it will cost you U$1, but Kip seemed to be the going currency. And, it probably didn't help that the U$ isn't worth 10,000 Kip.

#4 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 05:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.