Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai. One day?

Posted by trailcrewMT on 4/1/2009 at 09:05

I was wondering if it is possible to make the boarder crossing in Huay Xai in one day, leaving Chiang Mai on the earliest bus. Trying to arrive to check in with Gibbon Experience. Thank You

#1 trailcrewMT has been a member since 4/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/1/2009 at 07:18 admin

Yes, it is possible -- there are through buses from Chiang Mai or you can go via Chiang Rai . it will be at least midday by the time you've crossed the border -- you'd need to check with Gibbon Experience to find out how late there is a departure on the road to Luang Nam Tha.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by trailcrewMT on 6/1/2009 at 05:34

Thank for the post. sure does help!

#3 trailcrewMT has been a member since 4/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by chicho83 on 6/1/2009 at 06:22

I Have been finding out the same information the last few days. So far ive been told that if your gonna get a local bus from chiang mai, its better to get a bus to chaing rai first and then change onto another for chaing mai, total travel time 5 hours. If you get the bus to chaing kong from chaing mai it takes between 7-8 hours. This info was told to me from a lady living in chaing kong. So might save you a couple of hours extra travel.Boats leave chain mai for huay xai a few times every hour and only take 10 minutes.

#4 chicho83 has been a member since 30/12/2008. Posts: 23

Posted by chicho83 on 6/1/2009 at 06:24

EDIT!
I Have been finding out the same information the last few days. So far ive been told that if your gonna get a local bus from chiang mai, its better to get a bus to chaing rai first and then change onto another for chaing Kong, total travel time 5 hours. If you get the bus to chaing kong from chaing mai it takes between 7-8 hours. This info was told to me from a lady living in chaing kong. So might save you a couple of hours extra travel.Boats leave chain mai for huay xai a few times every hour and only take 10 minutes.

#5 chicho83 has been a member since 30/12/2008. Posts: 23

Posted by trailcrewMT on 6/1/2009 at 06:30

thanks Chicho, big help. i would have gone straight for the chiang mai to chiang kong bus...save me some hours hopefully.

#6 trailcrewMT has been a member since 4/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by markyeo on 6/1/2009 at 10:20

Hi, Trailcrew. I did a round Laos trip early last year. It would be better to get a direct bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong early in the morning to make it to Huay Xai by late afternoon/early evening.

I flew to Chiang Mai on an early flight, caught the bus to Chiang Rai , and hopped on another bus to Chiang Khong . I spent the entire day travelling and reached Chiang Khong at 6 or 7pm. So I spent the night at Chiang Khong before crossing over to Laos.

Apparently, the road from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai was under construction then, slowing down the journey considerably. I think that you should be prepared to spend the night in Chiang Khong if you get there too late. Get to the Chiang Mai bus station and get a Green Bus, somewhat of an official bus operator. Rather reliable. Also, I took a public bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong , it was a really really rickey but funky old thing that made regular stops for the locals.

If you have to stay over at Chiang Khong , don't worry about wasting a night there, get a hotel by the river. The sunrise in the morning over the Mekong is beautiful. Chiang Khong is a sleepy town that's quite charming.

#7 markyeo has been a member since 19/12/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 9

Posted by trimmel on 9/11/2010 at 11:08

That's great info. I am taking a trip to Laos. I will be traveling from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai and was hoping to do it in 1 day. I need to depart at 8am boat from Huay Hai the next morning so it's critical that I can make the journey in 1 day.

It sounds like the best option is to go from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and from there to Huay Xai. Does anyone know if the road has been repaired yet?

Thanks

#8 trimmel has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.