Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai. One day?

• trailcrewMT

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

I was wondering if it is possible to make the boarder crossing in Huay Xai in one day, leaving Chiang Mai on the earliest bus. Trying to arrive to check in with Gibbon Experience. Thank You

#1 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 09:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, it is possible -- there are through buses from Chiang Mai or you can go via Chiang Rai . it will be at least midday by the time you've crossed the border -- you'd need to check with Gibbon Experience to find out how late there is a departure on the road to Luang Nam Tha.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 07:18

• trailcrewMT

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

Thank for the post. sure does help!

#3 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 05:34

• chicho83

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

I Have been finding out the same information the last few days. So far ive been told that if your gonna get a local bus from chiang mai, its better to get a bus to chaing rai first and then change onto another for chaing mai, total travel time 5 hours. If you get the bus to chaing kong from chaing mai it takes between 7-8 hours. This info was told to me from a lady living in chaing kong. So might save you a couple of hours extra travel.Boats leave chain mai for huay xai a few times every hour and only take 10 minutes.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 06:22

• chicho83

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

EDIT!
    I Have been finding out the same information the last few days. So far ive been told that if your gonna get a local bus from chiang mai, its better to get a bus to chaing rai first and then change onto another for chaing Kong, total travel time 5 hours. If you get the bus to chaing kong from chaing mai it takes between 7-8 hours. This info was told to me from a lady living in chaing kong. So might save you a couple of hours extra travel.Boats leave chain mai for huay xai a few times every hour and only take 10 minutes.

#5 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 06:24

• trailcrewMT

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

thanks Chicho, big help. i would have gone straight for the chiang mai to chiang kong bus...save me some hours hopefully.

#6 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 06:30

• markyeo

Click here to learn more about markyeo
    Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, Trailcrew. I did a round Laos trip early last year. It would be better to get a direct bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong early in the morning to make it to Huay Xai by late afternoon/early evening.

I flew to Chiang Mai on an early flight, caught the bus to Chiang Rai , and hopped on another bus to Chiang Khong . I spent the entire day travelling and reached Chiang Khong at 6 or 7pm. So I spent the night at Chiang Khong before crossing over to Laos.

Apparently, the road from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai was under construction then, slowing down the journey considerably. I think that you should be prepared to spend the night in Chiang Khong if you get there too late. Get to the Chiang Mai bus station and get a Green Bus, somewhat of an official bus operator. Rather reliable. Also, I took a public bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong , it was a really really rickey but funky old thing that made regular stops for the locals.

If you have to stay over at Chiang Khong , don't worry about wasting a night there, get a hotel by the river. The sunrise in the morning over the Mekong is beautiful. Chiang Khong is a sleepy town that's quite charming.

#7 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 10:20

• trimmel

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

That's great info. I am taking a trip to Laos. I will be traveling from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai and was hoping to do it in 1 day. I need to depart at 8am boat from Huay Hai the next morning so it's critical that I can make the journey in 1 day.

It sounds like the best option is to go from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and from there to Huay Xai. Does anyone know if the road has been repaired yet?

Thanks

#8 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 11:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Rai to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong and on to Pakbeng. ... By DShearer86 on 23 Apr 2009 4 9770 18 Jun 2009