Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Conundrum

• lcreller

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2009

Hi, Im entering Laos at Vientiane and then wish to visit Luang Prabang before heading into Vietnam for Sapa, Hanoi and down to Hue and Hoi An - could as many people as possible please vote for which is best journey into Vietnam?

1) LP to Sapa through DBP border crossing
    2) LP to Hanoi through Sam Neua border crossing
    3) Vientiane to Vinh through Cau Treo border crossing (although this would cause lots of going back on myself)

Any issues with any of these journies, please let me know!! Speed would be great but a slower yet more interesting journey would be fine, as long as I get there!

#1 Posted: 6/1/2009 - 21:38

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Route 1 would get my vote -- it's more timeconsuming, but from what I've heard, absolutely spectacular. Also makes sense given your route in Vn and minimises your backtracking.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 12:01

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'd vote for Sam Nua never having done any of them. I like the hills and you would go through a lot more of them than by just heading up to Muang Khua to do the DBP crossing. I'd break up the journey.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 19:13

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Icreller

On this one, I'd not be taking votes as to which journey.

I've been on the DBP - Sapa road and its wonderful. But, I used private transport, When you read the various reports, the bus from DBP to Sapa can be tedious. But, having said that, there IS a bus route from LP to Sapa (albeit slow, and limited in services).

On the other hand, there are reports on travelfish that buses aren't too frequent from the VN border when travelling through Sam Neua.

Perhaps the simplest (from the reports) is the southern route - but with little to see or do.

For me, I'd do the northern route. I'd investigate whether I could go upstream from LP to Muang Khua, then bus it from there (on the scheduled day) to DBP.

But, if you're going to Luang Nam Tha for scenery / trekking, then it'd have to be bus back to Muang Khua.

If you do go DBP - Sapa, try and spend an overnight at Lai Chao to enjoy local hospitality and break the journey.

cheers

#4 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 13:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.