Flag of Laos

Laos forum

women travellers

• allison20

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm new to solo travel, but I'm in Hanoi and want to spend a week / a few weeks travelling around Laos, and I'm going to go alone. I'd like to take the slow boat up the river from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, maybe rent a motorbike (I'm an experienced driver) and drive around and see the countryside. Should there be any concern about me as a girl doing these things alone? I have no clue, so I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/1/2009 - 08:59

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

None whatsoever. Just use common sense.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2009 - 16:20

• tlm44

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2008

I was alone in all those places and other than some kids stealing my camera, renting a bike that the back breaks didn't work on and the hotel charged me for the sheets because I bled on them.. and I just my souveniersI sent home and most of it was stolen including an expensive silk dress.

I was very uncomfortable in Sihanoukville. People were incredibly pushy, I had some guys banging on my hotel door in the middle of the night. It was not fun...

#3 Posted: 16/1/2009 - 02:16

• allison20

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks to both of you for the information. That's what I assumed, but it's nice to have it confirmed. And I already skipped Sihanoukville; went to Kep instead. Much more low key!

#4 Posted: 16/1/2009 - 13:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.