Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

women travellers

Posted by allison20 on 10/1/2009 at 08:59

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm new to solo travel, but I'm in Hanoi and want to spend a week / a few weeks travelling around Laos, and I'm going to go alone. I'd like to take the slow boat up the river from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, maybe rent a motorbike (I'm an experienced driver) and drive around and see the countryside. Should there be any concern about me as a girl doing these things alone? I have no clue, so I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks!

#1 allison20 has been a member since 10/1/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Rufus on 10/1/2009 at 16:20

None whatsoever. Just use common sense.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by tlm44 on 16/1/2009 at 02:16

I was alone in all those places and other than some kids stealing my camera, renting a bike that the back breaks didn't work on and the hotel charged me for the sheets because I bled on them.. and I just my souveniersI sent home and most of it was stolen including an expensive silk dress.

I was very uncomfortable in Sihanoukville. People were incredibly pushy, I had some guys banging on my hotel door in the middle of the night. It was not fun...

#3 tlm44 has been a member since 25/9/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by allison20 on 16/1/2009 at 13:21

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks to both of you for the information. That's what I assumed, but it's nice to have it confirmed. And I already skipped Sihanoukville; went to Kep instead. Much more low key!

#4 allison20 has been a member since 10/1/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.