Flag of Laos

Laos forum

3 weeks in Laos for the solo traveller - suggested itinerary

• saxomophone

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Hi all,

I'm heading to South East Asia for a 4 month trip covering Singapore, Malaysia (peninsula), Vietnam (HCMC and Mekong Delta only), Cambodia, Laos, China and Mongolia.

My original plan was to cross over into Laos overland from Cambodia and work my way up through the country, beginning in the 4000 Islands and taking in Pakse, Tha Kaek and the Konglor Caves, Ventiane, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang (and probably more once I do more research!).

But I am starting to think (with a lot of help from the tips on the site and forum) that this is ambitious and probably a bit too much to cover.

Any tips on a more concentrated but still interesting itinerary, perhaps focusing on just the north or south?

Another option would be to just see a couple of things in the south (4000 Islands and Pakse) for just a few days and then fly from Pakse to Ventiane to spend 2-2.5 weeks in the north.

I will be travelling solo, so while I would desperately love to get off the beaten track as much as possible, there is only so much I can manage as a lot of great places sound like they are best tackled in couples/groups (save for meeting like-minded travellers along the way). I can always go back to really delve into the more remote and challenging places!

I plan to travel on to Yunnan, China next so I'd like to take a route that is cognisant of that next step.

#1 Posted: 13/1/2009 - 12:40

• Advertisement

• saxomophone

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Just to calrify, I have three weeks set aside for Laos.

I would also consider flying from Siem Reap straight to Ventiane and skipping the south altogether (but saving it for another trip).

#2 Posted: 13/1/2009 - 12:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi saxomophone,

With three weeks in Laos, I'd say that sergment of your plan is pretty reasonable. You could break it up something like:
    4000 islands 4 nights
    Pakse 2 nights
    Tha Khaek/Kong Lor 3 nights
    Vientiane 3 nights
    Vang Vieng 3 nights
    Luang Prabang 4 nights

and then some more suggestions (as you're heading to China)
    Nong Kiaow or Muang Ngoi 3 nights
    Udomxai 1 night & transit to China

I'd say you have enough time not to need to fly...

Hope that helps!

#3 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 07:08

• saxomophone

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

I have a tentative itinerary based around northern Laos that I'd likie some feedback on if people are willing!?

- Fly from Siem Reap to Vientiane (2-3 days)

- Vang Vieng for 2 days then loop back to Vientiane

- bus to Phonasavan (2-3 days)

- Bus to Sam Neua (2-3 days)

- Bus to Luang Prabang (2-3 days)

- bus to Nong Khiaow (sic) and then boat onto Muang Ngoi (3 days in that region)

- Bus onto Phongsali /Hat Sa region (2-3 days)

- bus to Udomxai as transit to Luang Nam Tha region (5 days? trekking exploring etc) before border crossing to CHina.

I've definitely onyl got about 21 days to play with so might need to cut something out (perhaps Phongsali or Sam Neua ). Any thoughts on the least sacrifice?

This is just a general point to point route and I would welcome any suggestions on unmissable places that I can reach doing this route (and am I missing anything in the north that I shouldn't?).

Nature, culture, bumpy bus/boat rides, wats (up to a point) are all interests for me on this trip so fire away!

#4 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 15:08

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Are you going to the Konglor caves? They are worth seeing. Travelfish has info on them.

#5 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 15:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary advice – aging solo traveller with a month in Cambodia and Laos ... By glennevis on 11 Sep 2014 13 653 15 Sep 2014
3 and half weeks backpacking Cambodia and Laos - tips, advice and suggested route ... By NatalieP on 1 Mar 2011 8 9804 9 Mar 2011
Suggested Budget and Itinerary for Thailand Laos Vietnam and Cambodia ... By emmah on 7 Mar 2013 4 2609 8 Mar 2013
Help! Itinerary check for a first time solo traveller! ... By y123 on 22 Feb 2011 6 4307 25 Feb 2011
Budget for suggested itinerary: THE REGION: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam explorer ... By quddus on 11 Nov 2008 1 5184 28 Nov 2008
solo traveller in Laos ... By solotraveller on 29 Jan 2012 4 1600 12 Feb 2012
solo 30 y.o female traveller from UK Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia ... By beatgirl98 on 19 Nov 2010 5 3964 30 Oct 2012
Virgin solo traveller - Laos, Thailand and Vietnam - December adventure ... By minnimoo79 on 18 Jul 2011 3 3121 21 Jul 2011
21F Solo Traveller (Sep 2013) Bangkok - Laos - Cambodia - Vietnam (flexible) ... By Roshni on 6 Aug 2013 6 1369 18 Sep 2013
Solo travel for 3.5 weeks in Vietnam: Overall Itinerary and Bac Ha Market ... By ncollins on 6 Aug 2014 3 783 18 Aug 2014