Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Green Discovery Kayaking from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

Posted by weiwei22 on 13/1/2009 at 21:59

I know Green Discovery offers this tour, but does anyone know if it is upstream or downstream? i.e. would it be easier or harder to kayak compared to going the other direction, i.e. VV to Vientiane?

Also, how rough is the water? Would someone unable to swim find it scary?

#1 weiwei22 has been a member since 12/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/1/2009 at 07:19 admin

As far as I know it is downstream. I've not done it myself so can't comment on the roughness - perhaps drop GD a line via their website and see what they have to say.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Driftless on 17/1/2009 at 10:15

The trip is definitely downstream - but be warned - its something like a 3 hour kayak, and 2 hours on a bus (ie, it is NOT a paddle from point to point). I have not done the trip, but my friend has, and he said it was mildly disappointing.

But - still a beautiful way to enjoy the trip ;)

#3 Driftless has been a member since 4/1/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by laos_info on 19/1/2009 at 13:08

The trip is on the Nam Lik river travelling downstream, which means it flows in the direction of Vang Vieng to Vientiane . You can do this trip starting from either Vang Vieng or Vientiane, although the trip starting in Vientiane involves a little more road travel.

Distance from Vientiane to Vang Vieng is approx 160km whereas you will only be in the river for about 15km.

#4 laos_info has been a member since 19/1/2009. Location: Laos. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.