Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Obtaining a Visa: Hanoi to Loas to Thailand by Land

Posted by curiouscarol on 17/1/2009 at 18:26

Hi,

Just wondering if I can obtain a visa if I arrive in Loas by land from Hanoi? I have read somewhere that the Loas visa can only be obtained from the Vientiane Airport and the Friendship Bridge but I'm not sure if that is true. Also does anyone know how long and how much the bus or rail ride is from Hanoi to Luang Prabang?

Was also wondering if i can obtain a 30day thai tourist visa at the friendship bridge when I cross into Thailand and what the cost is?

Your help is much appreciated!!

#1 curiouscarol has been a member since 17/1/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by laos_info on 19/1/2009 at 13:15

Yes you can obtain a visa on arrival at this border crossing. Cost varies depending upon nationality, but in the range of USD20-USD42

Thailand have recently changed their visa regulations. If you arrive by land in Thailand, you now only get 15 days in the country. If you arrive by air you still get the standard 30 days.

If you wish to get a visa so you can stay longer than 15 days you can do this through the Thai Embassy in Vientiane.

#2 laos_info has been a member since 19/1/2009. Location: Laos. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.