Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Nearest good beach to Vientiane?

• wessatong

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, I'll be backpacking thru Laos and ending up in Vientiane sometime in late April. I want to end off my trip at a nice beach before I head back to Singapore. Anyone has any suggestions?

So far my plan is to get from Vientiane to Udon Thani, get a cheapie flight to Bangkok, get on a bus for 5 hours and then a boat for 2 hours to Ko Chang.

But if anyone has any ideas of a nearer place, or someplace easier to get to, lemme know!

#1 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 18:01

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Of course you can reach Trat/KohChang via Bangkok. But another option is take a direct bus from NongKhai to Rayong and relax on Koh Samet :)
    Also possible to go (by bus) to Nakhon Ratchatsima (Khorat), then change bus to Trat. But I am not sure about bus Khorat-Trat, because while my last trip I quickly jump from bus NongKhai-Khorat to bus Khorat-Pattaya and haven't a chance to look at bus schedule :)

#2 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 18:53

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I did something similar a couple years ago. My wife just wanted to go to the beach with the kids. We got a bus Ubon to Rayong and so on.

Didn't like Ko Samet as much as we did other places we'd been.

We like touristy beaches but Samet was a little too much, Pattaya was suggested, probably would have been better, but if you are headed to Singapore anyway why not somewhere way down by Phuket? Suggest you post on Thai branch.

Busses from Isaan to everywhere in Thailand seemed plentiful.

#3 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 19:40

• wessatong

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

thanks for the suggestions! i'll keep the bus route in mind. the reason why i want to go to bangkok is because i kinda like the beaches in that cluster (don't really fancy the phuket ones right now).

hey somsai, don't mind me asking why you didn't like ko samet?

#4 Posted: 28/1/2009 - 09:17

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

It seemed too pricey for what we got, we didn't get a freindly warm feeling. We like going to very touristy places in Thailand as silly as that sounds, I mean that's what we go there for, but we had a lot better time a few years earlier at Samui.

#5 Posted: 31/1/2009 - 16:34

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Not the same-same as a beautiful Thai beach but you can cool off your hotfeet in the Nam Song in Vang Vieng just 4 hours north of Vientiane.
    Otherwise, I'd take cybervlad's advice and head overland to Trat and Koh Chang from Nong Khai or UdonThani.

#6 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 12:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.