Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Thailand

• viacc65

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

I would like in the near future to travel from Luang Prabang to Nan via Hongsa (overnight) crossing the border Muang Ngoen. Someone perhaps in the last days did this itinerary and could I have please some suggestions about this trip?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    viacc65

#1 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 03:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm not sure that crossing is open to independent travellers -- you can cross as a part of an organised trip, but I'm yet to hear a confirmed report from an individual.

Did you see another post on Travelfish about it? I must have missed it!

#2 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 08:35

• viacc65

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

From last December the crossing-border has been open to independent travellers. I just find some information on thaivisa

#3 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 21:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For anyone interested, post on ThaiVisa is here.

I'd heard reports of independents crossing from Laos into Thailand but not the other way -- viacc65 report back on how you go!

The northern part of Nan is magnificent -- have fun.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 07:39

• mactbkk

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009

LP to Nan via Hong Sa and Mueng Nguen is doable but a bit tricky I'd think.

First off, DO NOT take the direct route from just across the Mekong at Xieng Mien, reports are that that road is very bad up as far as Houey Xing, but from there on into Hong Sa is OK.

The preferred routing would be via Xieng Nguen to Mueng Nan, across the Mekong to Tha Duea, then to Sayaboury. From Sayaboury it's another 4-6 hours on to Hong Sa. Public transportation is available altho not all that comfortable.

Last week the wife & I stayed at the Sisophanh Guest House in Hong Sa, directly across from the morning market, next to the primary school. Good enough place.

From Hong Sa there's morning public transportation on to Mueng Nguen, about 1+ hours.

From Mueng Nguen, probably have to ask a local pickup driver to take you on down to the Lao border point to stamp your passport. It's then about 1 km on to the Thai border point at Huey Khon. Stamp into Thailand, then wait around for someone to be departing on to where you can get transport on from there. FYI, it's about two hours drive to Nan town itself.

Also, if coming from Thailand to Laos via Huey Khon-Mueng Nguen, a Lao visa is mandatory. The Thai Immigration guy told me that he'd had to turn back quite a few people who didn't have Lao visas.

Mac

#5 Posted: 15/2/2009 - 08:42

• viacc65

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

Mac,
    thank you for the great reply. Perhaps do you have the contact of the Sisophanh Guest House in Hong Sa?
    viacc65

#6 Posted: 15/2/2009 - 14:56

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

someone wrote about crossing (independent, not part of group/tour) from Thailand into Laos at Huay Kon-Muang Ngeun on 4th Jan 2009: http://gogoasia.exblog.jp/m2009-02-01/. but Japanese nationals do not require visa to enter Laos, & there's no VOA for people entering Laos there (as Mac said).

Mac: did you explore Muang Ngeun?

btw there's a new (opened ~2007?) resort at Bo Kleua in Nan (www.bokluaview.com).

#7 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 10:25

• mactbkk

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009

"Mac: did you explore Muang Ngeun?"

Sure not a lot to explore in the town! We ate one not very good lunch, gased up twice, and drove through twice, going west to Xieng Lom/Xieng Hon for one night the back throug and east to Hong Sa for another night. Oops three transits of M. Nguen, as we came back from Hong Sa then back to the Thai side at Huey Khon. This was 9-11 Feb, last week.

Hong Sa and Xieng Lom are much nicer it seems.

BTW, there's a new road under construction that starts 13 km west of M. Nguen and goes up to the Mekong, hitting it 17 km west of Pak Beng. There's also a new road on the opposite, north, bank that goes to Pak Beng. No large ferry boat available, as yet, small longtails, good enough for a motorcycle. The villagers there, tho, did offer to ferry our pickup truck across via two of the longtailed boats, we declined, didn't think the insurance would cover a swim.

Mac

#8 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 19:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9477 19 Aug 2011
THAILAND TO LUANG PRABANG BY BOAT ... By JAYDIN on 30 May 2011 2 3600 14 Jun 2011
Luang Prabang, back to Thailand ... By SybilVane on 4 Apr 2009 3 1985 5 Apr 2009
Nan Province in Thailand to Luang Prabang? ... By weiz on 3 Jan 2012 5 2817 3 Dec 2012
The 1 Day Boat - Thailand to Luang Prabang ... By JakiDL on 16 Nov 2006 42 40546 11 Jul 2009
thailand to luang prabang by boat ... By JAYDIN on 30 May 2011 2 3232 1 Jun 2011