Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Savannakhet to Hue Bus

• StuartG

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2009

Is there anyone out there who has taken the bus from Savannakhet to Hue and give me some info. & advice. All the blogs I've read are quite unhappy about the experience.

#1 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 08:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It gets mixed reports, but of all the cross border routes, it gets the fewest complaints. It's also a considerable shorter run than say Tha Khaek to Vinh .

#2 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 13:10

• simons104

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

Hey guys been looking this up and theres not much info. Anybody done this route by bus recently?

Cheers
    Simon

#3 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 03:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My maid has done this route many times...

I heard it's about six hours. Other reports that it takes a lot longer I believe are exagerations. I've also heard the bus is a little rough... AC is problematical, toilet on board same.

#4 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 09:29

• simons104

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

cheers Madmac

#5 Posted: 24/10/2009 - 00:34

• chris22

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2011

I took the Hue bus, but it was 3 years ago, so don't know how relevant my info is, but...The actual bus trip is only about two or three hours....it's the wait at the border that takes the extra time. When I took the bus there was no-one english speaking on board, and only about three other women. When we got near the border, we stopped for what I assumed was a toilet stop, but half the bus started slinging hammocks across and hopped in..(.a lot of them smoking, I couldn't help think about the smell of petrol that was everywhere)...and went to sleep. It took me a while to realise what was going on, but what happens is the buses line up at the border with their passengers, and get there late at night so they'll be near the front of the queue in the morning.

And as for the next part of the trip, the bus didn't actually stop in Hue, but only nearish, and I got dropped off and had to take (helmetless, of course) a moto taxi ride into the city proper. I didn't have a backpack, but instead a suitcase, so as you see, I wasn't well prepared.
    It was an interesting experience, but for most of the trip, I had no idea what was going on. I think I caught the right bus...(I followed Lonely Planet directions)...but it was hard to know...at the time there were no other english speaking tourists in Savannaket, so I was really rather lost. Anyway, one way or another, I got to my destination, and it made for a good story when I got home.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 14:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.