Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travel info Luang Prabang -Luang Namtha-Mouang Khoua

• jaschonaber

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

Hey there,

Mid of March we're about to travel from Luang Prabang to Loung Namtha to do some trekking there. After that we plan to go to Mouan Khoua and enjoy a boat trip to Nongkhew and back to LP all in 10 days.

I am already in contact with a local guy who does tours there but his offer seems a bit expensive.
    I would be really glad if you can answer me following questions:

- the way from LP to LNT is about 300 km, is that possible in one day?
    - is it possible to book a local there to guide indiviual trekking tours (4 days) meaning not in a big group? Or has this to be prebooked? (more expensive there than via internet?)
    - Again, the way to Muang Kouah is about 230 km, I don't know how the streets are like, but possible in one day?
    - You recommend prebooking a Boat trip from Mouang Khoua down Pak Ou to Nongkhew or is it easy to just go there and ad-hoc ask for transportation?

Thank you all in advance for some helpful info.. :-)

#1 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 01:43

• Advertisement

• austral31

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

re Muang Khua to Nongkhew,

I understand you will not have problems finding a boat but that boat may not be willing to go unless there are other travellers or you are prepared to pay a lot extra

#2 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 08:40

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

LPB-LNT: possible. about 8-9h by bus.

don't think need to prebook. guides shouldn't be in short supply. best to meet potential guides in person there, good guide who can communicate well with you will make big difference to your trek. March prob will be hazy.

LNT-MK: no direct bus, need to change at Udomxai (Oudomxay). LNT-Udomxai ~4h, Udomxai-MK ~3h. possible in one day if you get first morning bus out of LNT.

boats always avail, but if less than ~10 pax will have to fork out extra to make up for shortfall/charter entire boat as #2 said. ~1 million kip/slowboat for each section (MK-NK, NK-LPB) a year ago, not sure about current cost.

transport schedules here: http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2008/07/bussongthaew-schedulesdetails.html

#3 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 09:21

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Lots of good advice already above.
    No problem getting from LP to LN in one day but it's better/faster to take the shared vans departing from LP's north bus station to Udomxai and transfer to the bus for Namtha. The local bus to Namtha from LP takes longer.
    Likewise with above getting to Maugn Khua from Namtha in one day. Should be no problem departing Namtha in the early morning and tranferring at Udomxai to songthaew for MK.
    AS to taking boat downstream to Nong Khiaw/Moung Ngoi, you have to wait around for others to share the cost or charter the boat urself costing ~U$100.
    10 days should be fine to do the loop.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 12:08

• jaschonaber

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

Loads of useful tips! Thank you
    I bet I have more questions soon..

Great forum!
    I'll be useful as well, when I come back :-)

Cheers

#5 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 01:34

• marakusch

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2007

Hey just an info for your plans. Trekking in MARCH is not really a good idea, and I wish I could show you our pictures from this time of year...especially Luang Namtha is quite good in slash and burn and has already a lot of plantations, the national protected area has been shrinking since its foundation it seeems. Nong Khiaw, defiantely worth staying another night and do some hikes there, the 100 waterfall tour is super cool, and we also had a great Tour called Culture Logdge tour with the guide Mr. Home who works for Tiger Trail, check it out. If you want package and book in advance, ask your agent for join in transportation NOT private minivan, which gives you a much better rate and still security with a guide who leads through the trip... Anyways...enjoy Laos!

#6 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 17:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
suggestions for travel from Luang Namtha to Luang Prabang ... By paradise on 7 Feb 2009 1 3626 9 Feb 2009
getting to Luang Namtha /Muang Sing/maybe Huay Xai from Luang Prabang ... By mudgeerambler on 3 Nov 2008 3 5963 3 Nov 2008
Itinerary Advice: Luang Prabang, Luang Namtha & Phongsali ... By jeanne1307 on 30 Oct 2013 2 1262 3 Nov 2013
Transport Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha (Namtha) - Bus VIP Minivan ... By travelmike on 16 Jul 2008 6 8881 9 Aug 2008
Bus from Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha ... By JoannaCrawford on 16 Dec 2009 1 4467 16 Dec 2009
Luang Prabang to Hanoi, need info on bus travel through north east Laos ... By itchyfeet on 10 Nov 2006 4 2978 11 Nov 2006
Fly to Luang Prabang or Namtha from VTE ... By W_Sobchak on 18 Oct 2010 1 1758 18 Oct 2010
Mouang Khoua - Phong Sali road. ... By BigRoss on 26 Feb 2009 13 2553 18 Mar 2009
Any info on Croissant D'Or GH in Luang Prabang ... By dclayw on 15 Jul 2009 4 3237 2 Jan 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9591 19 Aug 2011