Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Guest House near Phou Khoun on Highway 13?

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

Last I heard, there was a new "resort" guest house opening just south of Phou Koun on Highway 13. Supposedly it's 2-5 km south of town.
    I know there are 2 or 3 guest houses in the center of Phou Koun but they are best avoided. I'll be coming in from Phonsavan by bicycle on Highway 7 and then heading north to Luang Prabang and would prefer not to have to go south and backtrack for a hotel that may not be open
    The last report I have was in November when it wasn't open yet.
    Any current info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 11/3/2009 - 18:40

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

walked past last Oct, not ready yet. by any chance was your last report a mid-Nov one by chris from crazyguyonabike? :) try asking on Thorntree forum, there's a forum regular who just passed by around late last week & keeps an eye out for such developments.

what do you look for in a GH? stayed at Xaiphavong GH (red roof - signboard can be masked by laundry) in the centre of Phou Khoun last Oct, pretty decent to me (maybe i have low standards :P). think there was a change in ownership. clean sheets, no bugs, two very clean shared bathrooms (scoop from pail type of shower), safe enough for a girl travelling alone. & they let cyclists park their bikes inside their restaurant area at night.

#2 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 01:24

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

walked past last Oct, not ready yet. by any chance was your last report a mid-Nov one by chris from crazyguyonabike? :) try asking on Thorntree forum, there's a forum regular who just passed by around late last week & keeps an eye out for such developments.

what do you look for in a GH? stayed at Xaiphavong GH (red roof - signboard can be masked by laundry) in the centre of Phou Khoun last Oct, pretty decent to me (maybe i have low standards :P). think there was a change in ownership. clean sheets, no bugs, two very clean shared bathrooms (scoop from pail type of shower), safe enough for a girl travelling alone. & they let cyclists park their bikes inside their restaurant area at night.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 01:24

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

Cat, thanks for the Thorntree suggestion.

I don't know what your standards are but from reading the posts on Thorntree, not much has changed in Phou Khun recently. I stayed at the Xaiphavong 2 years ago. They hadn't cleaned the sheets or the bathrooms in a while. Maybe you were there on the first of the month? ;-)

And no I'm Chris/CrazyGuy. Even the suggestion is insulting. It's a severe breach of "Netiquette" to post on any forum under 2 different names. All forums that I post to have rules against this. Most will ban you permanently for doing so. When you're done with your gum do you stick it under the seat?

#4 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 16:11

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

erm, what i meant was: when you said "The last report I have was in November", were you referring to a trip report posted on crazyguyonabike.com by a guy called Chris (who passed by the place & took a photo of it last November) as your source of info?

stayed in Xaiphavong in mid-Oct 08. maybe the bathrooms were still clean cos i got there early in the day...but still clean early the next morning. quite a few sheets hanging out to dry. & incidentally Chris' photo of the GH taken in mid-Nov 08 also shows sheets hanging out to dry - guess laundry day's in the middle of the month :P

where Chris & i come from there's no gum for sale...his trip report:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=97592&v=A1

#5 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 17:43

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

Cat, my sincere apologies for misinterpretiing what you wrote.

Also, good to know that the new owners of the Xaiphavong are going to try to keep it clean. Won't be so bad it the new GH/resort isn't open yet. But I'll believe it when I see it.

I met someone here in CM a couple of months ago that had ridden from Vang Vieng to LP and passed the new, not-yet-open GH/resort. I totally forgot about Chris's report and photos. I'll let you know in 2 weeks what the latest info is.

#6 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 18:12

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

Thanks to Jimoi and David from the GT-Rider forum for confirming the new GH south of Phou Khoune.

I don't know what anyone's budget is and I don't like to tell anyone else how to spend their money, but for the extra 60,000 kip, staying at the new SaraPhouKhoune GH over the Xaiphavong is one of the best value upgrades in Laos.

My full report is here:
    http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/guest-house-on-hiway-13-near-phou-khun-t5420.html

#7 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 17:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Mai Junior Guest House, formerly SK Guest House...any thoughts? ... By rpblica54 on 27 Mar 2012 0 1752 27 Mar 2012
PENGUIN HOUSE-guest house& serviced apartment @sathorn ... By ccfay on 29 Jul 2008 0 4226 29 Jul 2008
Panda House a new guest house in down town Chiangmai ... By pandahouse on 10 May 2008 0 3439 10 May 2008
Thai House Inn Guest House ... By doveman on 5 May 2006 0 3038 5 May 2006
My Anh guest house ... By myanhchau on 24 Jan 2007 0 3236 24 Jan 2007
Guest house in Mae Sot ... By ekkaphan on 20 Feb 2011 0 2703 20 Feb 2011
Mae Sot Guest House ... By cilee on 2 Apr 2010 2 4983 12 Jul 2011
Gin’s Guest House ... By bmaumene on 26 Jul 2007 0 2958 26 Jul 2007
Lovely guest house in Hua Hin ... By Tim1982 on 3 Mar 2007 0 2664 3 Mar 2007
Sensouk Guest House ... By mudgeerambler on 23 Oct 2008 0 1842 23 Oct 2008