Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary Question - How many days to spend in LP?

• wheelse

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009

I'm planning a grand solo journey through SE Asia end of June and all of July and am starting in HCM through Cambodia and then to Bangkok. I want to end my trip at the beaches in Thailand, but before heading down there I was thinking of trying to fit in Laos.

I would plan to fly to LP from Bangkok (mid-July), then back to BKK down to Krabi. How many days do you recommend for LP and surrounding areas? I was planning to skip Vientaine (rainy season, i imagine this would take a LONG time), and just foucs on LP. Is 5 days sufficient? I could then spend 10+ days in the islands in Thailand, but don't want to regret having spent too little time in relatively unspoiled Laos...

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 10:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Five days would be enough for Luang Prabang -- but if you could stretch it to say 8-10 days I'd fit in Muang Ngoi or Nong Kiaow too -- make all the flying worth it!

#2 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 16:34

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

wheelse..........I agree with Somtam's recommendations! Luang Prabang is beautiful, and the Lao people are delightful.

#3 Posted: 17/5/2009 - 10:45

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

5 days is 2 days too long in Luang Prabang. I would spend two days in Vientiane and 3 in LP. I assume you realise it is the rainy season in the whole of Laos and not just Vientiane, by the way? LP has the rainy season as well.

#4 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 12:36

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Rainy Season? I wish! It's been blistering hot the last few weeks in Laos with very little rain for us and that is coming from 4000 Islands to LP.

Technically it might be the rainy season in actuality it is the hot season at the moment.

As for how much time to spend in LP it depends on what you like to do. There are plenty of treks, kayaking trips, etc to keep one occupied. We did the Elephant Park Project 1 day Mahout course yesterday and it was awesome!

You could spend a couple of days and be happy with what you saw or spend a week and not regret it.

#5 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 12:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10 days to spend in Thailand - Where to go? ... By jamesb_ on 9 Jan 2012 6 1737 10 Jan 2012
20 days: advice on how to spend? ... By amz155 on 31 Dec 2008 11 1792 5 Jan 2009