Flag of Laos

Laos forum

How to arrange a home stay?

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I was thinking about doing a home stay in Laos while I am traveling. How in the world do I go about setting it up? What is a decent rate and what should I pay my host for their hospitality? Should I bring gifts? If so what? Will a host accept a unmarried couple?

As always
    Thanks
    Kistin

#1 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 12:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

ahh I'm guessing here as I've never done one, but I'd say organise it when you get there - ask around in whatever town you're in, decent rate - $5-10 a night at a guess but perhaps more -- a lot would depend on the standard of the homestay.

No gifts required, I wouldn't expect any problems being an unmarried couple.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 13:50

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

I think Green Discovery and some other tour operators in Laos can arrange homestays. Green Discovery have an office in Vieniane near the fountain. Check out www.ecotourismlaos.com. Otherwise you could contact the Head of the Village where you are staying and ask him to arrange it for you (but don't expect him to speak English. Also, bear in mind that the vast majority of homes in Laos do not have European-style toilets, especially in rural areas, so you need to be adept at squatting.

#3 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 07:14

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

Thanks for there info. I am fine with squat toilets. (6 month in Kenya helped me there!:)) Any advice on how to contact the village elder/ head of the village? Is there a particular Lao phrase I should say?

Thanks again
    Kirstin

#4 Posted: 18/4/2009 - 04:35

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You will have to do this via a travel company. I assume you don't speak Lao and rural folk won't speak English.

#5 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 14:21

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

The word is Naiban, but you will need an English speaker to help somehow. If you are making arrangements outside of a traditional travel agency make sure to give more than you get. Food is expensive, especially meat. LP phrase book covers a lot of ground.

#6 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 07:42

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

"Naiban" got it! I assume that money would be acceptable but I would prefer to buy an animal. Is purchasing an animal a feasible thing? Even if it is an extra thank you. When I was in Kenya in was more appriciated to buy a home stay family an animal as well as to give them currency but the animal was greatly appriciated. (I bought a goat and 2 chickens for my home stay family)

#7 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 22:18

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Sure but they're pricey. Little pig can run 20$ to 30$ US. Chickens better at 2$ or 3$. Small pig is tasty.

#8 Posted: 21/4/2009 - 16:22

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There are lots of places where you can go without using a travel agent. Don Deng near Champasak, and Don Kho near Pakse, are both good examples. You don't need to speak Laotian, either. Just say "Homestay" and whoever you're saying it to will likely know exactly what you're there for and will get you set-up.

Somtam is right with his info on prices, gifts, and married/unmarried.

I found that a $5/night homestay on Don Kho was probably worth $5 per night. Not entirely comfortable, and passable food. But, at least got mosquito nets and free-run of the place. Nice people!

Cheers.

#9 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 02:54

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

You can also check the official tourist office in larger towns. For example, the Luang Prabang tourism office directly across from the post office and next to the Ancient Luang Prabang Hotel was organizing homestays for tourists visiting LP during last week's Pi Mai Lao/Lao New Year since in previous years, there was a shortage of accomodations.

But if you're referring to homestays in more remote villages (as in accomodations for an overnight trek) then travel agency/-ies in the nearest large town/city 'organize' such overnight treks with concomitant 'bed' in a villager's hut/bungalow. This is included in the fee you pay such agencies and they determine how much they pay said family, usually a family that is a little better off such as a nai-ban or 'chief' of the village or has 'connections'. Sometimes, the family depending upon their circumstances might even kill and cook a chicken for your dinner. You can bring 'gifts' such as toothpast/tooth-brushes, educational material and even medicine provided that the villager/s know how to use said materials safely but I don't recommend candy for children or prescription drugs, and especially not anti-biotics which are frequently over-prescribed. Slipping the parents a few 10,000 kip notes 9but not excessivel) away from the view of a guide is also appreicated.

#10 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 03:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HIll Tribes / Home Stay ... By archiebaby on 12 Sep 2007 0 2044 12 Sep 2007
Baan Rao Bed and Breakfast - Home Stay on Koh Lanta ... By ArunaandChai on 15 Jan 2013 1 1495 18 Jan 2013