Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Tonic water avalable in Laos?

Posted by mikethediver on 18/4/2009 at 20:20

As a pair of aspiring alcoholics traveling to Laos and about to dump most of my luggage to make room for large amounts of Thai Sam Song, I was wondering if Tonic water was easily available?

I know all about the wacky baccy and stuff, but this could be a major problem for us!! So can I get tonic water, what is the local firewater, what do you drink it with??? Cheers guys!

#1 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by exacto on 19/4/2009 at 10:38

Hi Mike!

It seems to me that most of the canned soft drinks available in Thailand are similarly available in Laos. I imagine that will include tonic water in either cans or bottles.

The local firewater that I enjoyed is something like gasoline mixed with lime juice. Not bad actually. I highly recommend Beer Lao as well. It is an excellent beer and one of the most fun parts of any trip to Laos. Have fun. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Rufus on 19/4/2009 at 14:19

Tonic is certainly available. How elese would I drink my daily G&T?
There are numeroous local drinks, including rice wines and Lao Lao. Lao Lao can be likened to Grappa. A high quality LAo Lao is very similar to its Italian counertpart, and is, of course, drunk neat.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by dageshi on 19/4/2009 at 18:45

BEER LAO DARK
BEER LAO DARK
BEER LAO DARK

The greatest beer in SEA!!!!!!!!

Ahem, I believe I have made my point.

Now you heathens, yesterday I bought two bottles of The MACALLEN 12 year single malt scotch! In Sihanoukville! for 38 dollars a piece, so you can find a decent drink out here!

HEATHENS!

#4 dageshi has been a member since 1/3/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by chrispyrolls on 19/4/2009 at 20:35

oh yes you can certainly get tonic water there.. mmm... g&t!

beer lao dark i liked too ... have a night (or ten!) on the Lao Lao - the stuff we drank on Don Khone came out of a big water type container ... tasted liked furniture polish ... mix it with honey and soda water over ice ... then it tasted gorgeous! Mix it with fresh pineapple juice too ... mmm...

I saw sam song in Pakse too - so should be available in other places I assume...

#5 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Rufus on 20/4/2009 at 19:03

Dageshi you are clearly not a Scotch enthusiast. Any Sassenach or wannabee scotch drinker would know it is The Macallan, not "The Macallen".
Anyway, if you want to drink single malts try the Islay malts.
Lao dark beer is too sweet. I liked it when I first arrived here but quickly outgrew it.

#6 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.