Laos forum

Tonic water avalable in Laos?

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

As a pair of aspiring alcoholics traveling to Laos and about to dump most of my luggage to make room for large amounts of Thai Sam Song, I was wondering if Tonic water was easily available?

I know all about the wacky baccy and stuff, but this could be a major problem for us!! So can I get tonic water, what is the local firewater, what do you drink it with??? Cheers guys!

#1 Posted: 18/4/2009 - 20:20

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi Mike!

It seems to me that most of the canned soft drinks available in Thailand are similarly available in Laos. I imagine that will include tonic water in either cans or bottles.

The local firewater that I enjoyed is something like gasoline mixed with lime juice. Not bad actually. I highly recommend Beer Lao as well. It is an excellent beer and one of the most fun parts of any trip to Laos. Have fun. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 10:38

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Tonic is certainly available. How elese would I drink my daily G&T?
    There are numeroous local drinks, including rice wines and Lao Lao. Lao Lao can be likened to Grappa. A high quality LAo Lao is very similar to its Italian counertpart, and is, of course, drunk neat.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 14:19

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

BEER LAO DARK
    BEER LAO DARK
    BEER LAO DARK

The greatest beer in SEA!!!!!!!!

Ahem, I believe I have made my point.

Now you heathens, yesterday I bought two bottles of The MACALLEN 12 year single malt scotch! In Sihanoukville! for 38 dollars a piece, so you can find a decent drink out here!

HEATHENS!

#4 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 18:45

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

oh yes you can certainly get tonic water there.. mmm... g&t!

beer lao dark i liked too ... have a night (or ten!) on the Lao Lao - the stuff we drank on Don Khone came out of a big water type container ... tasted liked furniture polish ... mix it with honey and soda water over ice ... then it tasted gorgeous! Mix it with fresh pineapple juice too ... mmm...

I saw sam song in Pakse too - so should be available in other places I assume...

#5 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 20:35

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Dageshi you are clearly not a Scotch enthusiast. Any Sassenach or wannabee scotch drinker would know it is The Macallan, not "The Macallen".
    Anyway, if you want to drink single malts try the Islay malts.
    Lao dark beer is too sweet. I liked it when I first arrived here but quickly outgrew it.

#6 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 19:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.