Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Getting to Wat Phu (Champasak)

Posted by Intrepid82 on 24/4/2009 at 11:20

Hi - I am planning on going to Wat Phu following a trip to Siem Reap.

Can anybody tell me how far the airport at Pakse is from Wat Phu or the town of Champasak, and how easy/hard it is to get transport?!

Cheers :)

#1 Intrepid82 has been a member since 21/4/2009. Posts: 33

Posted by chrispyrolls on 24/4/2009 at 14:30

hi,

it's pretty straight forward to get to Champasak, about 1 - 1.5 hours from Pakse. The cost from the airport was $50 in Feb - so i would head into town to get a cheaper price, as that is loads!... it should be easy enough from the Southern Bus Terminal (approx 12000 kip i reckon)

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by seagypsy on 24/4/2009 at 15:47

You mean you're flying from Siem Reap to Pakse-Laos just to visit Wat Phu. Hmm, I don't know if you'll be disappointed after seeing Angkor. Anyways, I noticed some of your other postings and think a trip to Tha Khaek to visit Tham Lo would be more worthwhile.
It's not that Wat Phu isn't intersting but rather it's quite diminutive compared to the grandeur of Angkor's temples. I revisited the area in mid-Dec. with my wife and we went by motorbike from pakse.

Anyways, the airport is on the northside of the river so it's still a bit out of town. I think it'd cost close around U$3-5 to get from the airport to Pakse's South Bus Station where you can catch songthaews heading south to Pakse. Some go all the way to the town of Champasak and others drop off at the junction at Kilometer 30, in which case you'll have to hop a tuk tuk to the boat ferry landing. If there's a roaming moto-bike taxi, then you don't have to wait for the auto ferry since there are small catamarans/ferry that are designed just to ferry motorbikes and passengers. Cost is only U$1. It'd be great if the same motorbike driver takes you all the way to Wat Phu which is another 10Ks south of Champasak town. If you need a place to stay in Champasak, I can recommend Anouxa GH which is at the northside of Chamapsak town.
Anyways, have a great trip!

#3 seagypsy has been a member since 5/2/2009. Posts: 136

Posted by CunningMcFar on 25/4/2009 at 00:05

true that Wat Phu may not be architecturally as interesting as some of the grand temples around Angkor, but we found the setting beneath the cliffs of Phu Kao to be stunning and totally worthwhile. Rode bicycles out from Champasak (a good ride, but go early), and stayed for hours just soaking up the sublime atmosphere. Anouxa is indeed a good place to stay, friendly and relaxing.

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.