Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Getting to Wat Phu (Champasak)

• Intrepid82

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Hi - I am planning on going to Wat Phu following a trip to Siem Reap.

Can anybody tell me how far the airport at Pakse is from Wat Phu or the town of Champasak, and how easy/hard it is to get transport?!

Cheers :)

#1 Posted: 24/4/2009 - 11:20

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

hi,

it's pretty straight forward to get to Champasak, about 1 - 1.5 hours from Pakse. The cost from the airport was $50 in Feb - so i would head into town to get a cheaper price, as that is loads!... it should be easy enough from the Southern Bus Terminal (approx 12000 kip i reckon)

#2 Posted: 24/4/2009 - 14:30

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

You mean you're flying from Siem Reap to Pakse-Laos just to visit Wat Phu. Hmm, I don't know if you'll be disappointed after seeing Angkor. Anyways, I noticed some of your other postings and think a trip to Tha Khaek to visit Tham Lo would be more worthwhile.
    It's not that Wat Phu isn't intersting but rather it's quite diminutive compared to the grandeur of Angkor's temples. I revisited the area in mid-Dec. with my wife and we went by motorbike from pakse.

Anyways, the airport is on the northside of the river so it's still a bit out of town. I think it'd cost close around U$3-5 to get from the airport to Pakse's South Bus Station where you can catch songthaews heading south to Pakse. Some go all the way to the town of Champasak and others drop off at the junction at Kilometer 30, in which case you'll have to hop a tuk tuk to the boat ferry landing. If there's a roaming moto-bike taxi, then you don't have to wait for the auto ferry since there are small catamarans/ferry that are designed just to ferry motorbikes and passengers. Cost is only U$1. It'd be great if the same motorbike driver takes you all the way to Wat Phu which is another 10Ks south of Champasak town. If you need a place to stay in Champasak, I can recommend Anouxa GH which is at the northside of Chamapsak town.
    Anyways, have a great trip!

#3 Posted: 24/4/2009 - 15:47

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

true that Wat Phu may not be architecturally as interesting as some of the grand temples around Angkor, but we found the setting beneath the cliffs of Phu Kao to be stunning and totally worthwhile. Rode bicycles out from Champasak (a good ride, but go early), and stayed for hours just soaking up the sublime atmosphere. Anouxa is indeed a good place to stay, friendly and relaxing.

#4 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 00:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
from Pakse to Champasak, Champasak to Don Khon ? ... By gromi1705 on 15 Jul 2008 2 6297 21 Jul 2008