Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Bangkok to Vientiane flights

• ChrisM48

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2006

I am wondering whether to arrange flights via internet from BKK to Vientiane (Laos Airlines)or whether it would be cheaper to purchase flight direct with them on arrival in BKK?

Does anyone know if they have standby flights on sale at Suvarnabumi aiport and if so, are they cheaper?

#1 Posted: 29/4/2009 - 09:32

• Advertisement

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I don't think they do standby, but don't rely on me for that. The price on Laos airlines is slightly cheaper if you can buy the tickets in Laos. I'm not sure if there is a discount if you purchase from an agent in Thailand rather than the internet. You may have difficulty booking flights over the internet however, which would make booking in person necessary.
    If you have a very specific day you want to travel, it's probably best to try to book the flight as far ahead as possible, if you can.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2009 - 09:50

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

There are several options. YOu could just show up at Suvarnabhumi and try to catch the next Lao Airlines flight to Vientiane but their check-in desk at the airport does not always have someone 'manning' their desk: only a few hours before their flights is there someone at their desk so you'll want to time your flights accodingly.
    I think you're best option is to have a Lao travel agency setup the flight for you. For example, the Lao agency I use sets it up such that I pay for my ticket as a 'will-call', meaning I give them a deposit via credit card and pay the balance at the Lao Airlines check-in counter when I arrive.
    But now that Lao Airlines has switched to an e-ticket, you should be able to book in advance and produce a printed copy or code for your ticket.
    A less expensive option is to fly from Suvarnabhumi to Udon-Thani Airport on Thai Air Asia and take the shared van from the airport to Friendship Bridge or take the international bus from Udon's main bus station that goes directly to Vientiane's Talat Sao or Morning Market Bus Station which is several blocks from the tourist district. But of course this takes a bit more time to get into Vientiane in contrast to just flying directly into VTE airport. The 'I' bus is cheap but takes a minimum of 2.5 hours due to border formalities and if it's rush hour at the border, can take even much longer.

#3 Posted: 30/4/2009 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.