Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Gibbon Experience in September?

Posted by smartlyndy on 7/5/2009 at 21:55

Hi all
After reading an earlier entry about the G.E.being questionable in May, am I right in thinking it's out of the question in September?

#1 smartlyndy has been a member since 7/5/2009. Posts: 33

Posted by brucemoon on 8/5/2009 at 06:46

smartlyndy

The short answer is NO!

The long answer is depends on how you want your visit to a remot(ish) jungle experience to be (and all that that entails).

If you don't mind mud, wetness, and (sometimes) personally irritating 'fauna', then September will be great.

If you'd prefer to just do 'beaches' as the 'side' issues are less challenging, then maybe another month.

For a (little) insight, go see my blog where I posted some vids of our GE 'fun':

www.travelblog/Bloggers/brucemoon/

Cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by smartlyndy on 8/5/2009 at 07:22

Thanks yet again!!!
Mud, wet and critters are ok with me. We'll have 3 kids (12 & 13 yrs)with us at that stage - hoping they'll cope ok.

#3 smartlyndy has been a member since 7/5/2009. Posts: 33

Posted by brucemoon on 8/5/2009 at 08:45

Lyndall

The 'peak' rain month is August. By September, the rainfall ON AVERAGE is markedly less so the rivers are normally back to being passable.

As I said in the 'May' email, one has to cross a river at the highway to 'enter' the area. If the river is too high, then one must walk the distance otherwise traversed by 4WD. And, it is possible that the 4WD may not actually reach the M!Hong village.

The worst case event is that you walk more than anticipated. That, to 12 or 13 yo's, may be more confronting than leeches, etc!!!

- - - -

If you are in any doubt, why not email them at GE...

The website is:

http://www.gibbonx.org/

and the email contact is:

experience@gibbonx.org

I found they answered my emails (reasonably) promptly. The person answering was Lao, so the email content was not exactly as I'd expected (which suggests you ask your questions with a simplified logic). Nevertheless, I got all the info I wanted.

cheers

#4 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by meyers66 on 5/6/2009 at 22:46

Thanks for the gibbon website. Sounds interesting. I sent them an email for July. Wet I know but what can you do? Cest le vie.

#5 meyers66 has been a member since 5/1/2006. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.