Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Has anyone done the Mahout Lodge 3 day mahout course

• condrew

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2009

I am thinking about doing the 3 day mahout course at the Mahout Lodge in Luang Prabang. I woul be interested in anyones experience there. I read the story about Tiger trails elephant experience here on travelfish but the reviews from travelers were not so favorable.

Also, in contacting the lodge they asked for a 50% plus 3% deposit to hold the reservation which is not until next Jan. Is this standard?

and lastly, Any ballpark figures on how much it costs to fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang?

Thanks for any help/opinions I can get. Aloha!

#1 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 10:09

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

condrew

I can't respond to the mahout query, though I suspect you'll find the booking 'fee' is akin to other high-end activities in Laos (I went on the Gibbon Experience, and they wanted full price up front to reserve).

As for air tickets from Hanoi to Luang Prabang, as the route appears only undertaken by Lao or Vietnam Airlines, you'll be paying. A recent thread said:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/6098_from-hanoi-to-luang-prabang

Cheers

#2 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 14:10

• condrew

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2009

Thanks brucemoon for your reply. After searching this message board I found the link for flights from Hanoi you mentioned, Thanx.

I have done some more research re: Mahout Lodge and the 3 day mahout course and I have found reviews from other travel sights which were favorable. The one negative response was about waking up too early when it was cold. I am comfortable paying 1/2 up front, for the most part. What's the worst thing that can happen? If it doesn't happen at least we will be in the beautiful Luang Prabang. It's only money and I will watch my card activity closely.

#3 Posted: 19/5/2009 - 23:33

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Condrew,

We did a single day with Tiger Trails for their elephant trek and loved it... Amazing beasts those elephants ... never knew they had hairy skin!

Anyway Tiger Trails proved to be a professional outfit, good guides with great knowledge of the local area en route to the elephant park.

The bungalows looked nice on the riverside as we went along in a boat - a great location

Cost us about $110 I think for the day, which whilst being the most expensive trip we did whilst in Laos, it was definately worth it.

Chris

#4 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 01:41

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

oh yeah the flights...

http://www.laoairlines.com/

tells me the fare for next week is $190 which sounds about right... this is code share with Vietnam Airlines, but sadly their website does not list this route... depending on when you go, you could drop www.ivivu.com a mail and ask them, that will give you a clue and it won't be much cheaper out in Hanoi.

#5 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 02:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mahout Eco Lodge ... By emma066 on 19 Mar 2010 1 1401 20 Mar 2010
Mahout course ... By dseckel on 24 Jul 2008 1 1300 6 Aug 2008
Elephant Mahout Courses ... By chewbaca on 28 Nov 2006 3 1751 24 Dec 2006
Angkor Village Mahout Academy ... By Willawong on 30 Oct 2013 0 650 30 Oct 2013