Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary check

• javienlared

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

Great website, congratulations.
    Hello everybody I,m from Spain, travelling 15 june to bangkok then to Laos...
    sorry for my english it,s very basic.
    The travel plan is:
    Bangkok: 2 days arriving one end another.
    Ayuttaya: 1day then nigth train to chiang mai.
    Chiang Mai: 2 days
    Suggestions of getting to Chang Khong, how to get and time.what about the opium museum in Chiang Saen? and the village.
    Huai xai to L.P by slow boat 2 days
    Luang Prabang : 3 days
    L.P- vientiane by bus? or whatelse?
    Vientiane 1 day.
    Vientiane-pakse.nigth bus?
    Pakse and islands 3 days
    Pakse - bangkok by train.
    All that in 21 days, maybe is too much !
    Should i leave south of Laos or its worth seeing for the money it cost to get there.
    I like motorbiking may anyone suggest any excursion.
    Thank you guys.

#1 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 16:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish -- glad you like it :-)

What you are suggesting is possible, but quite rushed. I'd lean towards saving southern Laos for another trip and spreading those extra days elsewhere through your trip. While the opium museum is interesting, given you're timeline, I'd skip Chiang Saen as well.

There is plenty of scope for simple motorbike trips out of both Chiang Mai and Chiang Khong, so I'd give the extra time to one of those and go exploring. If, for example you gave the three days to Chiang Mai, I'd suggest biking up to Chiang Dao, Soppong or Phrao -- but there are lots of other options...

Lastly, we haven't sent any stickers to Spain yet -- see this thread for more info!

Cheers

#2 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 16:59

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

javienlared

I'm with SomTam...

Too far, too fast.

15 days... BKK to Northern Thailand ONLY (and return).

It sounds like you have become attracted to the destinations, rather than what the destinations themselves have to offer.

I spent 6 days in Chiang Mai recently and there were still many many things I wanted to do/see.

Chiang Mai is like a small Bangkok. And, Bangkok is a great place to shop. So, if shopping isn't high on the agenda, a couple of days there is probably enough.

In and around Chiang Mai, I'd suggest you read:

1/. http://www.travelfish.org/feature/19 (for a motorbike riding possibility),

2/. http://www.travelfish.org/feature/66 (for a hiking possibility - if you go, stay at Nest: the food is brilliant),

3/. http://www.travelfish.org/feature/108 (check only the 1st two items), and

4/. http://www.travelfish.org/feature/138 (for trekking).

I'd also suggest you rethink Ayathuya. Go, instead to Sukhothai:

http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/northern_thailand/sukhothai/sukhothai/52

- - - -

I'm making these suggestions on the basis that you want to EXPERIENCE something on your trip other than the inside of a bus or boat or train or a waiting room. As your itinerary is currently structured, you'll spend nearly all your time in travel, getting ready for travel, winding down after travel, and very very very little time actually experiencing anything about the places you visit.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 07:43

• javienlared

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

Thank you for your advise.you are so kind

I think we will spend the 3 weeks in nothern thai and nothern laos, leaving south Laos for the next hollidays.
    How about:
    Bkk-Ayuttaya-Chiang Mai-HUAY.XAI-L.P-Vang.vieng-Vientiane-Bkk.

What places for shopping do you recomend, i like little handcrafts and nike sneakers( they are usually made in thailand ).
    Also interested in good asian food and street markets.
    Saludos from Spain.cheers

#4 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 14:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

javienlared

Chiang Mai - Huay Xai - 1 day
    Huay Xai - LP - 2 days
    LP - VV - 1 day
    VV - Vientiane - 1 day
    Vientiane - BKK - 1 day

This is 6 days of just travelling. Nothing else, just 6 days of travelling.

Also...

BKK - Ayuttaya - 1 day
    BKK/Ayuttaya - CM - 1 day

This makes 8 days committed to just travelling.

So given that you ONLY have 15 days, what did you want to see/do for the other 7 days?

Or, do you really like being in a bus / boat / train / plane?

Cheers

#5 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 05:46

• javienlared

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

Sorry, but i,m going for 21 days 3 weeks, arriving the 15 of June jaja! not 15 days...
    so that leaves me 13 days of being arround sigthseeing, shopping...

#6 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 15:33

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

javienlared

I still think 8 days travelling is too much.

I'd spend more time IN/AROUND Chiang Mai suggested by SomTam and me (above).

I repeat my view that you rethink Ayathuya. Go, instead to Sukhothai.

As you're going to Chiang Khong from Chiang Mai - elsewhere I've suggested to take the VIP direct bus, it leaves CM about 10am and gets to Chiang Khong at about 3pm. But if you do, make sure the travel agent you buy from pouts on the sale docket "deliver passenger to Immigration border departure point" otherwise be dumped somewhere and you'll need to take a tuk-tuk and probably be ripped off. Go across and stay in Huay Xai (it's a bit cheaper). I stayed at Friendship GH, but there are also other OK one's there.

I'm assuming you're flying back to Spain from Bangkok. If so, I'd suggest flying Luang Prabang back to Bangkok (Bangkok Airlines) so that you save time and be ready to join your international flight without hassles of traffic (by coming back by bus or whatever). If you are leaving from Vientiane, I'd fly Luang Prabang - Vientiane.

While VV is Ok, and the trip scenic, 2 days on the road for VV isn't worth it unless you've the time to relax (which you haven't with your current itinerary).

Cheers

#7 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 16:03

• javienlared

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

Thank you for your sugggest, it helps me whith my planning.
    Every spanish mate told me about going to ayathuya, but i will think about sukhothai, but it,s more time spending because it´s not in the train way isn´t it ?
    Good idea the vip bus to Chiang Khong we´ll do.
    The flight from L.P to BKK it,s 100 eur i think it´s worth he money.
    So everything it´s more clear...

#8 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 17:53

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

javienlared

I've said elsewhere on Travelfish, there's nothing especially wrong with Ayathuya, but Sukhotai is much better.

For me, Ayathuya is THE[/i centre of Thai culture for Thai people, and it represents the royal lineage. But, the ruins are spread out, there's traffic buzzing around and at times heaps of tourists. Sukhotai, on the other hand, has an ambience of quiet regality. It is a destination in its own right, and when you are there you actually FEEl as though it could all come alive.

Yes, sadly, the best way to get to Sukhotai is by road (ie bus).

Cheers

#9 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 19:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.