Flag of Laos

Laos forum

itinerary - please help

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hi all

I'm getting more and more confused with my planned itinerary for Laos. i think something has to give somewhere and I'm not sure what... don't mind taking some flights here and there to speed things up a tad.

Day 1 - get from Siem Reap to Don Det
    Day 2 - Don Det
    Day 3 - Don Det
    Day 4 - get from Don Det to Vientiane
    Day 5 - Vientiane
    Day 6 - Vang Vieng
    Day 7 - Vang Vieng
    Day 8 - Luang Prabang
    Day 9 - Luang Prabang
    Day 10 - Luang Prabang
    Day 11 - overnight boat to Huay Xai
    Day 12 - Huay Xai
    Day 13 - Gibbon Experience
    Day 14 - Gibbon Experience
    Day 15 - get from Huay Xai to Koh Samui if possible (can possibly add a night in Laos here and arrive Koh Samui morning on day 16)

if anyone has some ideas or suggestions please that'd be fantastic...

thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 11:49

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

smash

Far too much.

Fly Siem Reap to Vientiane.

Fly to Luang Nam Tha. Look on Travel fish for ideas (heaps to do).

Nam Tha to Huay Xai for Gibbon experience back to Huay Xai for ...

Boat to Luang Prabang .

Enjoy Luang Prabang.

Fly Luang Prabang to BKK, then to Koh Samui (I don't think there is a direct flight).

Reason, coz you've got so much time hooked into bus travel, and hardly any time for doing anything else.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 10:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahh just realised you broke the trip up into separate posts! Makes sense.

As per Brucemoon, this is very cramped. Agree cutting out southern Laos will be the easiest way to give yourself a bit more time to cram in the rest.

If Ko Samui is intended as your "beach hit at end of holiday" thing, then I'd cut all your beach time in Vietnam and Cambodia as the beaches are better on Samui and that will better allow you to see some of the rest of what you want to see.

Really though, no matter how you cook it, trying to see all three countries in six weeks means you will need to fly a lot of legs, or be prepared to spend about half the holiday in a bus/train. Look into Bangkok Airway's Discovery Airpass -- especially as you're planning a leg to Samui that may be a big help.

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 12:07

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Thanks BruceMoon & somtam2000. Really appreciate your feedback on this. I think we will skip Don Det and fly Siem Reap to Vietiane - Don Det doesn't sound that exciting anyway! That automatically gives three nights freed up which we can use. One thing the other half has his heart set on is Vang Veing. Where could we slot this into BruceMoon's suggestion?
    (have replied to Vientnam and Cambodia too)

#4 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 12:18

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Also, will be doing this trip over April/May. Working things out now as have had to lock in some flights and a China tour which I won. we'll arrive Hanoi April 10 and then need to depart Laos (sounding like Luang Prabang) for Ko Pang Nga no later than about May 26/27.

Thanks!

#5 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 12:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.