Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Airtravel in Laos

• travelgirl

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hi guys

I am going to be flying from Laos into Siam reap and am a little nervous about flying as after googeling airtravel in Laos I have heard a mixture of good and bad stories.

Anyone flown in Laos? Were you comfortable? Feel safe?

#1 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 13:08

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Flown Air Laos? Somewhat over 30 times now and I am still here to tell the tale. I wonder how old the bad stories are that you have heard.

#2 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 15:58

• travelgirl

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Thanks Rufus

That does make me feel better.

The stories are old and it does seem safe enough I guess.

#3 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 16:09

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

There's a Travelfish feature story that I thought informative. Takes a realistic view of flying. Statistics are better than anecdote when considering the safety of flying. Once out of a thousand or a hundred thousand would be too high a rate for me. Thirty flights without mishap is a statistical non event.

I used to drive very fast while very drunk, never had an accident, safe?

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/50

A Cessna out of Sam Nua went down ealier this year, engine trouble as I remember, no injuries.

#4 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 20:40

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

In re reading my reply I realize it might sound like I'm down on flying. I'm not. I'd believe it to be safe, and internationaly very safe.

From a safety viewpoint I'm sure it stacks up well against other forms of transportation, just saying that "I flew them and survived" tells us nothing.

#5 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 20:51

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

There are two airlines in Laos:
    1. Lao Airlines that does both domestic & international flights to BKK, Chiangmai, etc: http://laoairlines.com/
    2. Lao Air that does only domestic flights linking Vientiane to Sam Neua, Sayabouly, & Phongsaly (i.e. destinations not served by Lao Airlines), & chartered flights: http://www.lao-air.com

It's Lao Air that still uses Cessnas & helicopters, & is probably the recent case that somsai was referring to (emergency landing in a ricefield near VTE?). The similarity between the names probably means that incidents involving either could end up tarring the reputation of the other? Even more confusing is that some people refer to either as 'Lao Aviation'.

AFAIK some international NGOs currently allow their staff to fly Lao Airlines, but not Lao Air. E.g. CARE Intl staff based in Sayabouly returning to the capital have to journey by land to LPB & fly from LPB to VTE by Lao Airlines, instead of doing the Sayabouly-VTE direct route by Lao Air.

#6 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 23:33

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Cat, the two airlines are the same. Helicopters are now used by LXML staff to fly to Sepon. They used single engined cessnas before. I have flown to work on these many times with no problems.

#7 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 07:39

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

What I should have clarified, Cat was that Lao Air is a subsidiary of Lao Airlines.

#8 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 07:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Hopefully the aircraft are maintained better than the rest of the country is...

#9 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 14:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

perhaps now would be the right time to give this a rest MADMAC. you've made your point that you aren't a fan of Laos. point taken. but just because you are willing to shout your opinion the loudest doesn't make it the best. plus, it's getting tedious to see your anti-Laos comments on every Laos-related thread. even though you aren't Laos' biggest booster, others, including me, really enjoy the country. there is no reason to keep peeing in everyone else's cornflakes. cheers.

#10 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 20:46

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I got to go back next month too...

#11 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 22:32

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Rufus: i see, learnt something new :)

#12 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 23:58

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

First of all sorry because I canĀ“t read the first posts because the popups are on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My question is: are there any flights from Laos to Cambodia? Vientiane/Ponh Penh? or from Luang Prabang?
    This is very important for me, because in order to save some time I would fly from Laos to Cambodia instead of the land crossings.
    Thank you.
    Graciela.

#13 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 22:33

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes there are. Cambodian and Laos Airlines codeshare.

#14 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 07:13

• mamatwiga

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

How much do flights run from Vientiane to Siem Reap? The prices I'm seeing online seem really steep.

Thanks in advance!

#15 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 08:05

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mamatwiga

There are no real low cost carriers linking Laos and Cambodia.

Laos Air do the service, but it's almost impossible to use their website.

Cambodian Airlines offer a flight, go to:

http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/airlines.htm#To%20Siem%20Reap%20Intl

In both cases, I suggest you are going to have to use a travel agent.

You may like to check out:

http://uk.bestfares.amadeus.net

Cheers

#16 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 09:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.