Flag of Laos

Laos forum

laos in 6 days??!!!! help!!!

• feeona_lou

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

Myself and 2 friends (all girls incase this is relevant) have 4 weeks in thailand this summer - we've heard great things about laos and wondered if its possible/wise to attempt laos in 6 days??!!! we land in bangkok on 24th july, plan to possibly do 3 day jungle trek in chiang mai then head to loas, need to get to koh phangan by 3rd aug in prep for full moon party.
    how should we get from chiang mai to loas?
    and where would people recommend if we've got such a short time?
    are we being a bit ambitious?!!!
    any help/advice most welcome!!!!!
    thank you in advance

#1 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 01:05

• Advertisement

• smartlyndy

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Hi feeona_lou

My advice would be to fly into Luang Prabang if you can stretch the budget for airfares and just spend the 6 days in that region. There is plenty see and do there - eating, drinking, meeting lovely people, temples, markets, elephant treks, eating, water falls, eating, Pak Ou caves - and you will get a feel for the country (you can go home and save to go back).
    I think if you try to do more you will just end up travelling from A to B and not really enjoying the place!

#2 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 07:19

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

feeona_lou

I'm with smartlyndy on this.

I suggest you either focus on Laos properly - even after the beach party - or stay in northern Thailand.

The only comment I'd make about Luang Prabang is that you'll hardly touch Laos there: it's a western holiday town serviced by Lao people, and catering to western wants. So, you won't get a 'flavour' of Laos unless you move away. You could consider taking a boat from LP up the Nam Ou to Nong Khiaw and do a trek from there - maybe bus return.

If you are 'into' trekking, also go look at the Gibbon Experience. That WILL be a journey you won't forget. Go BKK > Chiang Khong (overnight bus), cross over the Mekong (the town on the other side is Huay Xai) and the Gibbon Experience people will take you from there.

type Gibbon Experience into the 'Search Travelfish' box on top and go from there.

There are heaps of other ideas, but it would help if you replied with more details on the sorts of activities and experiences you're really after.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 07:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi fee!

laos is pretty great, so i can see why you'd want to squeeze in a visit for 6 days. it certainly would be possible, either as the guys have suggested above, or perhaps by flying directly from chiang mai to luang prabang for about 4 days. then you'd either bus (with a potential stopover in vang vieng en route, or not!) or fly from there to vientiane for 2 days. after that you could catch the bus from vientiane back into thailand and either a) nong khai for the overnight train trip back to bangkok or b) udorn thani for a flight back to bangkok and points south.

having said that, i'm not sure that i'd do it given the timeframe you've mentioned. six days would be rushing it for sure, as well as taking time away from other options in thailand like kanchanaburi or sukhothai or a trip along the thai side of the mekong river and other stuff like that. there is so much to do and your 4 weeks will go quickly!

plus, the added expense of heading to laos for such a short time (flight, visa, etc.) would make me think twice about doing it.

any chance you can do it after the full moon party as suggested above?

just to muck things up a bit, how about heading over to siem reap and angkor wat for that time instead? you could easily knock out that side trip in the six days you have.

or just to muck things up more, how about a trip to kuala lumpur in malaysia instead? bruce made a killer suggestion in a different thread about how cheap the air asia flights are to KL. that would add good variety to your trip too.

anyway, the short answer would be that yes you can do it, and you'll have a great time. but it will be a bit expensive and a bit rushed and a bit ambitious. how badly did you want to visit laos? cheers.

#4 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 10:33

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I would spend 4 days in Luang Prbang and 2 in Vientiane. That will at least give you a taste and hopefully you will come back and pend a month there next time.

#5 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 17:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm with Bruce here - why do you want to go to Laos? What kind of activities or experience are you looking for? You're heading to the full moon party - except for VV, Laos isn't a party place. On the other hand you're also going trekking out by Chiang Mai. Laos has some of that going for it... If you start with what you like to do, it's easier to advise you on where to go.

#6 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 23:16

• feeona_lou

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

Thanks!!!
    we've decided it too tight and although we would love to visit laos, that we would be wasting too much time travelling to and from , that we would be better spending more time in thailand.

Thank you all for the advice though! greatly appreciated!
    xxx

#7 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 17:51

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Big mistake Fee. Laos has a lot more to offer than Thailand.

#8 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 14:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Fee
    You made the right call... don't listen to Rufus, he's biased.

#9 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 19:20

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hey

Aren't we all????

#10 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 05:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Indeed.

#11 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 14:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.