Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travelling Sth Laos July

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

Hi everyone!
    I'm looking at going back to Laos in the next few weeks because i loved it so much last time i was there.

I want to go to the south (having done LP, VV and Vientiane in the previous trip)

However, i only have 2 weeks all up and would like to go to Siem reap to see Angkor too - this makes me think i may only have 7-8 days in Southern Laos - it this worthwhile? or too short?

I am thinking

Day 1 - Arrive Vientiene in morning, leave for Pakse that night

Days 2-4 in Pakse

Day 5-8 in Don Khon

Then hopefully organise a trip to SR - i assume that will take another 2 days or so?

Then days 10- 14 in SR.

Anyone think that is too ambitious? Or have any reccomendations for really amazing things to see?

As i'll be alone, and i know it's low season, i'm wondering if there are still many travellers in Sth Laos during this time? I'm looking for some quiet relaxation, but also wouldn't mind being able to meet/chat with some other people too. I had a few weeks trip in Borneo recently where i met NO ONE - and it go a bit lonely after awhile!

Cheers :)

#1 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 20:08

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Any of the bigger towns in this neighborhood (Paxse, Savanakhet, Udon Thani on the Thai side will have at least some expats kicking around. Also, I can't imagine that there is a time when Siam Reap doesn't have any tourists. So I think you're safe on that count.

#2 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 21:57

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

limeandsoda

As John says, I doubt you'll be 'alone' for too long.

May I suggest you entertain flying to Siem Reap - probably from Pakse to Vientiane to Siem Reap.

The reason hasn't much to do with time (though you'll be advantaged that way). Rather, with the wet season, it's quite possible that you'll find some routes (temporarily) closed: throwing your journey into disarray.

For example, try looking at the weather now... Go to:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48955.html

This will get you to Pakse. On the left of the page, under 'current Conditions' is a map: right click on that (preferably to a new tab) and look at the area. Keep the link open for a few days and you'll see whether the weather is going to be an issue for you.

Otherwise, a day to PP, and another to SR.

I've elsewhere suggested Siem Reap warrants 4 full days: a 3 day pass, and a day to Tonle Sap (a very important part in understanding the reason why the Angkorian temples are located where they are).

Cheers

#3 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 07:18

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

Thanks Bruce, yeah, i guess i hadn't really factored in the weather!! Looks pretty wet :)

I guess i might have to try and see how it goes, keeping an eye on it when i'm in Pakse. Would prefer not to fly, both for reasons of budget and one of the things i like most about the region (though it sounds crazy) is the scenery from the bus along the way!

I've been to angkor before, for two days, so this is a return visit - i suppose that gives me a bit more leeway in case i am delayed for a few days. Hopefully if it turns out that it looks like rain might delay me for more than a few days i will be able to book flights, instead, when i am actually in pakse.... eek! fingers crossed

#4 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 15:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
18 m travelling Thailand and Laos, mid july - mid august ... By Dadi on 9 Jun 2011 12 2463 9 Jul 2012
Travelling Northern Thailand and Laos in June/July ... By mrnice88 on 21 Apr 2010 4 2669 19 May 2012
24/M/ UK Travelling solo mid july --> thailand, laos, cambodia ... By Jduncan123 on 7 May 2012 7 1418 13 May 2012
33 y/o female travelling to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia May-July ... By Masser on 9 May 2011 3 3044 8 May 2012
19th July start: Travelling Cambodia, Vietnam and Maybe Laos ... By tknz on 12 Jul 2011 0 1358 12 Jul 2011
25 year old girl, travelling Laos, Thailand and Cambodia from May-July ... By danilou on 17 Feb 2011 6 2905 26 Mar 2011