Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Snakes? Leaches? Dinosaurs?

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

Probably a horribly ignorant question, but can I expect to find any of the above in the various bodies of water that I will be in and around?

We will be traveling from Luang Prabang all the way down to Don Dhet.

#1 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

August - September, if that matters. I know the rains bring some unwanted friends in Indonesia, so perhaps its seasonally relevant.

#2 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 18:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

No dinosaurs I don't think. Snakes and leaches probably, but you get them everywhere...I've even seen snakes in the klongs around Bangkok. (All snakes can swim BTW).

Nice spiders in Laos too! ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/710093804/

#3 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 19:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I doubt you'll have any trouble with dinasours... and if you stay in the boat and then in the cities, you should be bothered with leaches or snakes either.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 19:26

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

We aren't going to get horribly off the beaten track, but I assume there will be a lot of time spent in the water around the waterfalls, in and out of caves, and floating around like jerk tourists in VV / Don Dhet.

No foreseeable problems with this?

#5 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 20:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Nah. I had to swim in the Mekong when the ferry sank about an hour from Pak Beng... not very nice water for swimming in but no snakes. I also did an all day canoe trip from VV to Vte and we stopped for some swimming en route. Didn't see any snakes then either.

Even if you do see one, do not panic. It's highly unlikely it'll chase after you!

Leeches on the other hand are hungry for blood so you might get a couple of them. But at least they aren't deadly, just annoying because the bites bleed.

#6 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 20:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Never get out of the boat. Never get out of the boat!"

#7 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 20:31

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

There are leaches around Vang Vieng, but if you're just tubing, you probably won't see any. We only got covered in them when we crossed rice fields to get to climbing crags, after it rained. When it was dry, no leaches. In any event, it was gross but not dangerous. The snakes are definitely around in the jungle, but your chances of seeing them are low.

#8 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 00:02

• smartlyndy

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

DEET repels leeches (sorry Bruce.) Worked a treat when we did some walking in the north. We saw one green snake - they worry me a bit I must say!!
    Good luck!

#9 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 13:09

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Leeches gross me out! What's the best way to try and prevent them getting on you? I've been seriously disturbed by leeches ever since I saw a doco with a guy who got one up his nose. Give me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it!

#10 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 13:36

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Don't go in the water or swamps or the like - places leeches live - and you won't get one on you. I have lived here over two years and I am proud to say I have yet to get a single leech on me!!!

#11 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 15:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I had to swim in the Mekong when the ferry sank about an hour from Pak Beng"

SBE, now that sounds like an interesting story! Is it written up elsewhere here on TF? If not, it probably should be!

#12 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 16:10

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Despite what anyone here says, there will be dinasaurs. Another term for dinosaurs is western tourist.

As others have pointed out, waterways are the home of snakes and leeches.

However, most snakes only swim in water if they can't gain access to land. So, in general, snakes won't be a big problem.

As for leeches, these lovely little critters also prefer land over water. Ordinarily, you'll find leeches adjacent to, but not necessarily in, small waterways. Some will be evident alongside larger waterways.

So, leeches can be a problem when entering/departing a waterway, but usually not while in a waterway.

As also suggested here, in the wet season, all manner of critters are swept into the waterways. The environmental impact of this detritus can be worrying to the westerner (dinasoar). but those living in SE Asia don't choose to occupy the waterways

Cheers

#13 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 18:59

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

smartlyndy

Despite the DEET, a green snake is a python and not that much of a problem. At least, nothing like an angry king brown!!!

Ash, leeches aren't really a problem. Yes, they draw blood. But, once they get to their max size they just drop off. I was enjoying the Gibbon Experience earlier this year and at one point I had 14 leeches on me.

For me, leeches are less of a problem than bullticks. After brushcutting my property a few years back, my dick got a bit itchy. Upon perusal I had 12 ticks in the willy-wag. I had to soak it in Turpentine, then with tweezers, remove each. The removal process wasn't a load of fun. But, some days after removal, the site from which bullticks have been extracted become unbelievably itchy. That I was in the public domain and on view meant I coudn't scratch. Now, that was a problem[/i.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 19:10

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Mine's not big enough to support 12.

#15 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 21:06

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good story Bruce!

Your Gibbon Ex report is one of the many stories of that activity that have me uber paranoid about leeches. honestly, they repulse me! i just pray the rains come late and skiip mid-May altogether.......

#16 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 04:46

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Ash

You're probably going to laugh, but one of the best protections against leeches is to wear two pairs of pantyhose.

The knitted nylon of pantyhose can be breeched by a small leech, which then converts itself via your blood to a big leech. But, two pairs of pantyhose right up to your waist will keep you leech free in that area.

The downside is what you think of others' thoughts of your look, and wearing same is exceedingly hot.

40 years ago, when out in the scrub for a few weeks at a time, and exposed to all sorts of waterways, etc., this worked a treat: and they were issued by our superiors.

Also, from time to time check areas near waistbands, sock tops, etc.

Cheers

#17 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 07:10

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Were you "bushcutting" in the nude when you got into this predicament Bruce? Dip it in TURPENTINE?? Are you 100% sure that a wee dab of DEET wouldn't have been a better idea?

Pantyhose... two pairs...in the tropics. Every heard of fungal rot? No wonder you itch! ;-)

#18 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 07:34

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS. Busylizzy, sorry forgot to answer... mental visions of Bruce leaping about in pantyhose in the outback wielding tweezers, bit distracting... yes I think I did already mention the slow boat sinking on the slowboat thread. Here are a couple of pictures of them trying (and failing)to plug the hole in the boat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/3721554781/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/3721555023/

We had to spend the night on a sandspit in the middle of the Mekong....good job they had a crate or two of Beer Lao in the hold.

#19 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 07:58

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

lol... again, gay, but not that kind of gay! :oP will just have to get over my phobia me thinks...

#20 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 08:18

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

To explain...

I then lived on a large (in some places steep) property, and where I couldn't use a ride-on, I had to brushcut (whipper snipper to some).

Brushcutters with stringlines REQUIRE one not to be in the nude - if for no other reason than the pieces of sticks, etc. being flung at great speed can be painful on the bod. Interstingly, at the time, I did have DEET sprayed onto my heavy woollen (ex army) socks.

The little buggers are small and slow crawlers. They typically travel across ones body till they find a hairy area, and once there they start chewing their way under one's skin.

I learnt years ago that one does NOT extract a live tick from one's body else the site is injected with copious amounts of anti-coagulant and venom. In such cases, the site becomes inflamed and upon recovery is just so itchy for ages and ages.

Even if one kills the tick first, the recovery, while not as tragic as should they be extracted alive, still incurs a period of itchyness.

So, for me, the better outcome is to drown the little buggers with an alcohol type fluid. I didn't have any metho, only turps. As it happened, there were so many I just got a big cup filled it with turps and lay down on it for a few minutes. Then it was a painful tweezers experience. And, as noted, it was bloody itchy for far too long.

Even sex wasn't the same for a while : (

- - -

Yep, we did get 'fungalitis', but it was either that or be covered in leeches.

I learnt a great remedy for fungal infections - especially those under toenails, etc.

Hydrogen Peroxide. It is also the best remedy for mouth ulcers.

Cheap n cheerful.

Cheers

#21 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 09:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

1983 I am on a training exercise at Ft Bragg, North Carolina. My battle buddy and I were on the land navigation course through the pines and swamps of Carloina when I he stops and I hear "Mac! Mac, I've got a tick on my dick!" I said to him "Well what do you want me to do about it? Take it off."

#22 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 12:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

Did you do the 'buddy' thing and oblige?

Cheers

#23 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 12:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hell no! He was on his own on that one.

#24 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

That's what I can never understand about US grunts, they never know when they'll owe their life to their buddy. But when the chips are down he isn't a worth that special extra effort.

Mmmmm!!!!

#25 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey, if it was serious, I'd have called a medic to handle it. As it was, he was able to deal with it on his own.

#26 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:47

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well I wasn't going to mention this in case there were people of a sensitive nature reading this but I might as well now we've had all those gory details from Bruce and Madmac.

During the week or two I was on Pulau Weh (Indonesia) I saw two local people with ticks on their upper eyelids. Their eyes swelled up horribly and it was quite painful. They just had to wait till the ticks fell off. Soaking your eyelids in things like ether or turpentine isn't really a good idea and as Bruce says, if you squash them when try to pull them off it makes things a lot worse.

"They typically travel across ones body till they find a hairy area, and once there they start chewing their way under one's skin."

The ticks on Pulau Weh probably dropped from the trees (it was quite jungly where we stayed). They must have crawled through a quite lot of hair before reaching the eyelids...you sure about that theory Bruce?

I've made a mental note to dress up as a bank robber next time I go back there anyway! Ticks are also vectors for rather a lot of rather nasty diseases ... AFAIK leeches aren't.

#27 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 21:18

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I'm no expert on ticks. I've only endured a couple of hundred or so over the years.

The pattern I know is that ticks are on vegetation cause they are awaiting a mammal.

In my locality, mammals normally occur at grass high (eg kangaroo, wallaby, potaroo, bandicoot, etc). So, ticks tend to gather on the leg area.

Yes, some have had ticks on eyelids, ear canals, etc. But, generally, they tend to go for hairy areas: groin, armpit, base of scalp, etc.

In some respects, leeches are less of a problem than ticks: especially grass ticks as they never really get big. Aside from the paralysis aspect, at least a bull ticks is easier to remove. Do you know the bull tick?

For a list of our ticks, see:

http://www.tickalert.org.au/ixholdet.htm

I think I prefer leeches as they just swell up, and once they are large, one can easily flick them off.

But, I suppose I'm used to vermin as I grew up with same. I'd rather deal with ticks & leeches than Taipan or king brown or death adder...

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/snakes/dangerous/index.asp

Anyway...

Cheers

#28 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 21:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Ticks like warm, moist parts of the body, so not surprisingly they are drawn to the groin. However, clothes usually restrict access, so they bore in on where they can.

And yes, hair gives them something to hold onto while boring...

#29 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 23:17

• Intrepid82

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Forget leeches and snakes.....I would be far more concerned about water borne parasites......ewwww

#30 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 09:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I would be far more concerned about water borne parasites"

Indeed - we're back to "never get out of the boat".

#31 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 12:32

• laos_info

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2009
    Location Laos

Dinosaurs are only found in Savannakhet - biggest problem is likely to be bumping into the awful statues they seem very keen on putting up around the place.

#32 Posted: 26/7/2009 - 11:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.