Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Any info on Croissant D'Or GH in Luang Prabang

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

We're looking for accommodation for a family of 4 in Luang Prabang for about a week in early January 2010. As this is a busy time we will need to book ahead. Has anyone stayed at the Croissant D'Or GH? Seems they have a few rooms above the popuplar Croissant D'Or cafe. They do have a web site but not a great deal of information on it.

Our 2 children are now 15 and 17 so I'm wondering if it's a better bet to go for 2 rooms rather then a family type room. I figured there would be more to choose from doing it that way, although might be a bit more expensive.

#1 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 15:29

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Can't specifically comment on that one.

When I look at their website it shows a road fronting the mekong River as Fa Ngum Rd. The map I have has the road fronting the Mekong as Th Khem Khong.

- - -

As for a recommendation...

From personal experience I can recommend Rattana:

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/laos/northern_laos/luang_prabang/luang_prabang/all/1282

[color=red}Cheers

#2 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 21:35

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

there's C. D'Or in both VTE & LPB...in VTE the Mekong riverfront road is Fa Ngum Rd, while in LPB Chao Fa Ngum Rd is further inland (Joma, Post Office stretch).
    http://www.croissant-dor.com/lpb/contact.php

Google search threw this up - a family with young kids who stayed there:
    http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Laos/West/Luang-Prabang/blog-391491.html
    "We are staying at Croissant D’or a four roomed guesthouse above the Croissant D’or café. Our room is huge and makes you feel like you are in a palace, not bad for $25US a night with a delicious breakfast for all of us included . We are on the main tourist street with lots of guesthouses, masseurs, beautiful craft, clothes and jewellery shops and restaurants, two blocks back from the Mekong."

#3 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 00:13

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I had seen that family's travel blog and PM'd the author. Just thought I'd also post on here in case the author didn't get back to me. Well, she did get back to me and it does indeed sound like a nice place to stay, good location, reasonably priced for a 4 bedded room, and a good size, and a nice view apparently. Just a tad noisy in the mornings during breakfast setup from the restaraunt downstairs.

#4 Posted: 19/7/2009 - 16:16

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Just a follow up on this thread. We actually stayed at Croissant D'Or guest house for 5 nights just a few days ago. They quoted us US$35 for the Boupha room which has 4 king single beds, ideal for a family of 4. The Boupha room is huge, plenty of space and nicely decorated. The shower wasn't quite working as it should so they gave us the room for US$20/night, a real bargain for the quality of the room.

They have 4 guest rooms above the cafe, the Boupha room is the biggest. The Croissant D'Or is centrally located on Th Sisavangvong not far from the Tum Tum Bamboo restaurant. Not many people seem to know about it. It's not in my copy of LP guide book (not the latest version) and our tuk tuk driver didn't know where it was either.

The guest house is above the cafe but it seems the cafe is the main business. The only downside to this place is the noise in the morning when they are setting up the cafe for the day. They start dragging chairs and tables around at 6am or so, it wasn't a problem for us as it's not really that bad, but might bother some.

#5 Posted: 2/1/2010 - 14:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel info Luang Prabang -Luang Namtha-Mouang Khoua ... By jaschonaber on 17 Feb 2009 5 4506 16 Dec 2010
Luang Prabang to Hanoi, need info on bus travel through north east Laos ... By itchyfeet on 10 Nov 2006 4 2919 11 Nov 2006
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9456 19 Aug 2011