Flag of Laos

Laos forum

North or South?

• jyates

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

Myself and a few friends are going to have a short holiday (2.5 weeks) in Thailand and Laos. We're going to fly into Bangkok and explore there a little, then go to Laos for about 10-12 days. I've travelled in Thailand and Laos before but noone else in the group has been to a developing country so I don't want to give them too much of a culture shock. As we don't have too much time in Laos, I'm trying to work out whether we should go to Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, or go down south for Si Phan Don, Pakse, Bolaven Plateau etc. What are your preferences? We are planning to go in August, so advice on how easy it is to travel in these areas in the rainy season would also be helpful.
    Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 17:45

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

j

I prefer the north for reasons unrelated to your request.

Personally, it matters little whether you choose north or south. The only proviso is that you take your time, enjoy what you do, and do as little travel as possible.

In Laos travel is slow. The whole country is laidback. So, minimise travel and get into the groove of enjoying the laidback lifestyle.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 19:05

• jyates

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2008

Cheers Bruce! Exactly my thinking - I was in Malaysia and South West Thailand earlier this year and tried to do way too much. Was knackered when I got home! Will be taking it as easy as possible.

Thanks,
    Josie

#3 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 19:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, you want to party, go to VV. You want to check out temples and shit - go to Vientiane and Luang Prabang. You want to enjoy sloooow, basically do little to nothing, clear your head, maybe go swimming... Savankhet / Paxse (friend of mine knows a great little waterfall with clear, clean water near Paxse). What you want to do pretty much drives the train here.

#4 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 22:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.