Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Anyone know the current rate for hiring a minivan from VV to LP. I've read one recent story of 900,000 kip and that was for 11 people. I think that sounds quite reasonable, would you agree? I asuume the rate is always for the van, not per person, so the cost will be the same for 1 person or for 11 people? Does the hire rate go up much during peak season Dec-Jan?

Is it possible to hire a taxi in VV for the trip to LP, there will be 4 of us. What would the cost be?

And it appears the trip from LP to VV is always more expensive (and generally takes longer) then VV to LP, why is that?

Reason for hiring a van is that my daughter does not travel too well on windy roads (more of a psychological thing really) and the worst thing for her would be watching others being sick, which happens all the time on that trip I understand. We don't want to miss VV, so the windy road is the only option. (Yes I know about the backpacker scene in VV but we plan on getting out into the countryside for a few days there).

#1 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 08:51

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

dclayw

An alternate idea is to look at the VIP bus, as few 'ordinary' (read prone to travel sick) Lao take that (go here.

In a mini-van, and closed in space, would the travel sickness problem not still exist?

Cheers

#2 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 09:55

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Yes, with minvan the travel sickness would still exist but it is a more controlled environment, like being able to choose who you travel with and to be able to stop when you want. It would generally be a more comfortable trip for her. Don't get me wrong, she travels quite well on planes etc, she just has this thing about windy roads and she WILL talk herself into getting sick. Like I said it's probaly more a psychological thing then anything else, but it does have real consequences. A comfortable trip for her means a comfortable trip for me. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned, as I've said elsewhere we have travelled all over Asia on all modes of transport without too many problems, but that VV->LP trip has a bit of a reputation (for good reason I expect) and it is that reputation that she has cottoned onto.

Did you have any feedback on my other questions about cost of hire etc.

#3 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 10:12

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

When we need a 12-seater minbus for a full-day's journey, we pay US$120 for the bus, driver and fuel, irrespective of how many passengers there are.

#4 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 10:53

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

900,000 kip is in the right ball park then. Those fares sound quite reasonable compared to the normal VIP fares for the trip between LP and VV, and you get the added flexibility of being able to stop where/when you want.

#5 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 12:04

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

dclayw

An idea...

I don't get seasick, and I wanted to know why my wife sometimes does. A while ago, I learnt that sea sickness sufferers tended not to keep their eyes on the horizon. When told to keep looking out the vessel and towards the horizon, they invariably got through OK.

I've also noticed that people who suffer from travel sickness tend not to keep their eyes on the road, etc. They tend to feel ill, put their heads down and so the mind doesn't relate to the changes in 'position'.

It's possible that if you could 'translate' that in way that gets to your daughter, and you put her in the front seat next to the driver, she may not get travel sickness.

Just an idea...

Cheers

#6 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 21:21

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

About a month ago we did the LP to VV trip in a mini bus. We didn't hire it exclusively for us. We paid 110,000 Kip per person, and there were 11 people in the van.

The trip was a not horrible, but it wasn't nice either. I got a little car sick because the road has a lot of curves. The driver was very responsible though and was going very slow, which made the trip to be longer, but didn't mind at all.

They say that going by bus is even slower, but that you don't feel the curves as much because of the size of the vehicle (couldn't say though).

#7 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 15:09

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Thanks for all the feedback. That bus trip has a bit of a reputation doesn't it. Almost as infamous as the backpacker boat between Huay Xai and LP.

#8 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 16:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng ... By 21days on 17 Dec 2009 0 4705 17 Dec 2009
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng ... By NEILEIO on 29 Aug 2008 2 5106 1 Sep 2008
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 4399 23 Jul 2012
Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang ... By Lars on 11 Oct 2007 5 4987 17 Oct 2007
Luang Prabang to Vientiane- The truth about Vang Vieng ... By misstahlia on 7 Jun 2013 9 4636 10 Jun 2013
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng with 2 kids - need advice ... By alainj on 2 Jul 2010 1 4466 2 Jul 2010
Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang ... By ruthmoore on 18 Nov 2007 5 13093 26 Aug 2010
Landslide Delaying Bus Travel Vientiane/Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang ... By wanderingcat on 23 Aug 2011 3 3096 5 Sep 2011
Transport Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha (Namtha) - Bus VIP Minivan ... By travelmike on 16 Jul 2008 6 8571 9 Aug 2008
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 1084 16 Aug 2013