Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire

Posted by dclayw on 23/7/2009 at 08:51

Anyone know the current rate for hiring a minivan from VV to LP. I've read one recent story of 900,000 kip and that was for 11 people. I think that sounds quite reasonable, would you agree? I asuume the rate is always for the van, not per person, so the cost will be the same for 1 person or for 11 people? Does the hire rate go up much during peak season Dec-Jan?

Is it possible to hire a taxi in VV for the trip to LP, there will be 4 of us. What would the cost be?

And it appears the trip from LP to VV is always more expensive (and generally takes longer) then VV to LP, why is that?

Reason for hiring a van is that my daughter does not travel too well on windy roads (more of a psychological thing really) and the worst thing for her would be watching others being sick, which happens all the time on that trip I understand. We don't want to miss VV, so the windy road is the only option. (Yes I know about the backpacker scene in VV but we plan on getting out into the countryside for a few days there).

#1 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Posted by BruceMoon on 23/7/2009 at 09:55

dclayw

An alternate idea is to look at the VIP bus, as few 'ordinary' (read prone to travel sick) Lao take that (go here.

In a mini-van, and closed in space, would the travel sickness problem not still exist?

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by dclayw on 23/7/2009 at 10:12

Yes, with minvan the travel sickness would still exist but it is a more controlled environment, like being able to choose who you travel with and to be able to stop when you want. It would generally be a more comfortable trip for her. Don't get me wrong, she travels quite well on planes etc, she just has this thing about windy roads and she WILL talk herself into getting sick. Like I said it's probaly more a psychological thing then anything else, but it does have real consequences. A comfortable trip for her means a comfortable trip for me. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned, as I've said elsewhere we have travelled all over Asia on all modes of transport without too many problems, but that VV->LP trip has a bit of a reputation (for good reason I expect) and it is that reputation that she has cottoned onto.

Did you have any feedback on my other questions about cost of hire etc.

#3 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Posted by agarlao on 23/7/2009 at 10:53

When we need a 12-seater minbus for a full-day's journey, we pay US$120 for the bus, driver and fuel, irrespective of how many passengers there are.

#4 agarlao has been a member since 13/6/2008. Posts: 30

Posted by dclayw on 23/7/2009 at 12:04

900,000 kip is in the right ball park then. Those fares sound quite reasonable compared to the normal VIP fares for the trip between LP and VV, and you get the added flexibility of being able to stop where/when you want.

#5 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Posted by BruceMoon on 23/7/2009 at 21:21

dclayw

An idea...

I don't get seasick, and I wanted to know why my wife sometimes does. A while ago, I learnt that sea sickness sufferers tended not to keep their eyes on the horizon. When told to keep looking out the vessel and towards the horizon, they invariably got through OK.

I've also noticed that people who suffer from travel sickness tend not to keep their eyes on the road, etc. They tend to feel ill, put their heads down and so the mind doesn't relate to the changes in 'position'.

It's possible that if you could 'translate' that in way that gets to your daughter, and you put her in the front seat next to the driver, she may not get travel sickness.

Just an idea...

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by luchy1309 on 24/7/2009 at 15:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

About a month ago we did the LP to VV trip in a mini bus. We didn't hire it exclusively for us. We paid 110,000 Kip per person, and there were 11 people in the van.

The trip was a not horrible, but it wasn't nice either. I got a little car sick because the road has a lot of curves. The driver was very responsible though and was going very slow, which made the trip to be longer, but didn't mind at all.

They say that going by bus is even slower, but that you don't feel the curves as much because of the size of the vehicle (couldn't say though).

#7 luchy1309 has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by dclayw on 24/7/2009 at 16:34

Thanks for all the feedback. That bus trip has a bit of a reputation doesn't it. Almost as infamous as the backpacker boat between Huay Xai and LP.

#8 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.