Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Revised Itinerary...

• yozza2009

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

21 day itinerary, remaining pretty vague due to transport times whilst in Laos and taking in each location rather than flying through.

Current plan...

Days 1&2 - Vientiane
    Day 3 - Vang Vieng
    Days 4,5,6, (maybe 7)- Luang Prabang
    Days 7, 8- Nong Khiaw
    Day 9- udomxai/na maw
    Days 10 - 13 Luang Nam Tha
    Days 13, 14 - Muang Sing / Muang Long

From here i'm lost as which to travel without retracing a number of my steps. I would consider the speedboat ride from xieng kok to huay xai before taking the 2 day slow boat down river. I fear that by my wish to visit Muang Sing I will end up retracing some steps. With regards to Muang Sing, would it be easy to hire a motorbike here for the day?
    Suggestions welcomed. Thanks again, i've tried to be more detailed and allow enough time for most of the places I hope to visit, really i'm not visiting long enough to see and enjoy the places I would like to visit in the south, so a northern route appeals more so.

Thanks again,
    Yoz.

#1 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 01:34

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

yozza2009

Your itinerary doesn't appear to factor in travel (though I'm sure it does in your mind.

With travel, it would look more like this...

Days 1 - Vientiane

day 2 - travel VV
    Day 3 - Vang Vieng

day 4 - travel VV - LP[/color=blue]
    Days 5,6, (maybe 7) - Luang Prabang
    day 7 - travel Nong Khiaw
    Days 8- Nong Khiaw

day 9 - travel NK - OudomXai (maybe link to Na Maw)
    Day 9- udomxai/na maw
    Days 10 - 13 Luang Nam Tha

day 10 - having travelled to either OudomXai or Na Maw, stay a day to enjoy.
    day 11 - travel to Luang Nam Tha
    Days 13, 14 - Muang Sing / Muang Long

day 12 - 14 - Luang Nam Tha...

I did this so that you can see that there is a lot of travel involved. I don't know how much time you've got thereafter.

As for Muang Sing, I didn't see anyone renting out motorbikes there (in April, last), but heaps do at Luang Nam Tha. I rented one at LNT and rode over the very scenic range to Muang Sing & return for the day. Next time I'm there, I'll rent for a week or so, go to Muang Sing, saty, then down to Huay Xai and stay, then back to Vieng Phouka and stay, and back to LNT.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 08:01

• yozza2009

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

Cheers,

In Luang Nam Tha what kind of price should I expect to pay for hiring a bike for two days?
    Yes, factoring the travel time means i'm going to have to make my way back after Muang Sing - though hopefully not in a rush. With regards to Vang Vieng, i'm unsure whether to dedicate a whole day here, though i'm hopeful that when i'm passing through (August) it won't be too busy with the yobbish gap year students.
    Have you ever taken the Nam Tha River trip? It's something i'd be very interested in, however, it would be in the opposite direction to many.

Thanks again,

Yoz

#3 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 17:59

• laos_info

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2009
    Location Laos

from Luang Namtha its abotu a 4 hour bus trip down to Huay Xai and into Thailand. Green Discovery run a tour that starts in Luang Namtha and you travel to Huay Xai by boat. You can also hire longtail boats and go independently by river.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2009 - 11:04

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Yoz

In SE Asia, for sellers of goods, when the word gets around, everyone takes heed. I've found that generally, the 'price' of a (around 120cc) bike is about US$7 to 8 per day. That's what I've paid in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos & Combodia (and LNT).

As for VV, aside from the 'yobbo' stuff, IMHO the scenery around the area is worth at least a day.

No, I haven't done the Nam Tha river trip, but like you, I'd love to. My understanding is that there are 2 sections with rapids being the 'break' place. And, one can book a journey down to the end of section 1, and will need to get another boatman for section 2. I'm not sure whether the Mekong section (ie between the junction of NT & Mekong) to Huay Xai is on the second, or is in fact a third (wouldn't be a problem as many boats travel these Mekong sections). You'll need to allocate 2 or 3 days for this trip.

The major hassle is not the river - August will have the river in good height - rather, getting a boatman to take you when you want to go. My understanding is that boat traffic is infrequent.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 08:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Revised itinerary ... By marianwarren on 17 May 2006 2 1868 17 May 2006
SE Asia itinerary revised ... By michmich11 on 23 May 2008 1 2571 27 May 2008
Revised itinerary for 2.5 months SE Asia ... By mlr on 1 Sep 2009 7 3397 3 Sep 2009
Revised 5 week itinerary - any advice? ... By JenHarley on 1 Dec 2011 0 1530 1 Dec 2011
Revised one week Siem Reap Itinerary ... By EvanR on 27 Aug 2011 1 3458 27 Aug 2011