Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Nam Phao/Cau Treo VS Dansavanh/Lao Bao

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

Ciao everyone, I'm planning my big SE Asia trip and wondering at this tricky point.Initially I wanted to cross from Laos into Vietnam through the Nam Phao/ Cau Treo, as I'll be staying only in northern Laos, but I'v read that is not the best crossing point.so I revisited my plan and now I'm going all the way to Savvannakhet only to do the other border crossing. Is it sane/wise? which one is relatively easyer and quicker???
    I appreciate your saying as I have kinda limited time in each country so saving time on this would help heaps ;)
    TA

#1 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 06:50

• Advertisement

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

mmh.forgot to mention that my forst stop in Vietnam will be Hoi An. so, which one of the crossing is overall best? :)

#2 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 07:07

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

soQQuadro

On a map, Hoi An is sort of opposite southern Laos.

So, if you are only 'doing' northern Laos, do you want to travel to southern laos before crossing to Vietnam to go to Hoi An.

Or, do you want to cross over to Vietnam in northern laos, and travel south in Vietnam to Hoi An?

It's your choice?

So, please advise your preference.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 07:32

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

ye,that's my dilemma.Teorically I want to go from Ventiane to Hoi An. But what's the best route to do that? going south thru Laos or crossing north into Vietnam and go south from Vihn to Danang? thanks~~

#4 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 13:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

soQQuadro

Here are some Travelfish reports that may assist:

major details listed

post 1

post 2

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 13:25

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

ok. thanks.I think I'll stick to the Ventiane Savannakhet night bus (hope there's one!) and the border crossing in Lao Bao. from outside,sitting in my stool, seems easyer. Once there probably won't seem that easy anymore. but yeah.
    TA ;)

#6 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 04:33

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

soQQuadro--yep, if your destination is Hoi-An, then the fastest overland route is via Savannakhet. You can even buy the ticket in Vientiane but shop around this option first at several agencies or guesthouse since it's likely that you're going to be transferred from bus to bus with not much accountability if something goes awry. Also, in Laos (or SEA in general) it's always best to check out the price of the actual fare from various sources before buying because guesthouses and travel agencies will tack on a commission that can be from a few dollars up to double the price of the ticket.

#7 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 21:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I haven't taken it - but I've heard that the bus ride from Savanakhet across into Vietnam is NOT fun. On the other hand, I've heard that most bus rides in Laos are short on fun, long on time and bumps. But I don't take them enough to be an expert.

#8 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 18:31

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

mmh. ye. probably that bus ride won't match my idea of fun either, but I'v heard also,just rumours, that the other crossing is more of a gruesome type. so let's hope for the best. sea gypsy: and if I go directly to the bus station let's say and buy a VIP (that apparently shud be FASTER? CONFORTABLE? WHO KNOWS.... ) the price might be kinda fix?

#9 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 03:13

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

soQQuadro

I can't talk about that crossing. But in general, VIP doesn't mean better. Faster maybe (but not always), but not better.

I've been faced with the 'ordinary' Vs VIP option and found the VIP to be a small 22 seater bus. As all buses are always overfilled, I've chosen the 'ordinary' over the VIP because there's more room, 'sits' better on the road, etc.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 06:04

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.