Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

book in advance for christmas

Posted by pia2am on 11/8/2009 at 01:18

Hi

I
Me and my family will be in Laos over christmas and new year. I understand it´s the high season and wondered if you need to prebook accomodation in Vientiane (christmas), Vang Vieng (between christmas and new year)? We will book in Luang Prabang (new year).

Pia

#1 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/8/2009 at 06:46 admin

It depends on how flexible you are -- ie., are you happy to wander around to a few places to find a room.

For Luang Prabang yes I would definitely book, I personally probably wouldn't bother with Vang Vieng, but again for Vientiane I'd probably lean towards making a reservation.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somsai on 11/8/2009 at 07:31

Hi Pia,

Vientiane has seemed a little tricky last winter, even during times that normaly are.. well.. normal. The hotels always were filling fast because of changes in the rules for Thai visas. Many long term foreign residents of Thailand were coming over and staying overnight to renew visas.

That said the period around Chritsmas day is usually slow. Vang Vien has a tremendous amount of guest houses, I can't imagagine ever having a problem there.

Luang Prabang I've had a very difficult time in on New Years Eve. I got to town before 6PM but I and a whole lot of other people were driving around looking. Prices also double. Book for new year and reconfirm.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by seagypsy on 11/8/2009 at 08:09

ditto, ditto.

#4 seagypsy has been a member since 5/2/2009. Posts: 136

Posted by Rufus on 11/8/2009 at 08:11

Agree with booking for Luang Prabang. You don't really need to book for Vientiane.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by pia2am on 11/8/2009 at 22:29

Thanks a lot for your replies. I will def. book for Vientiane as well.

#6 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by cheeco on 12/8/2009 at 09:30

What about in Thailand? We are looking to celebrate our anniversary on the 20th of December, along with x-mas at a nice place on an island. Sorry, I don't know exactly what island we will choose right now.

#7 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by seagypsy on 12/8/2009 at 09:38

cheeco,
Yes, even in Thailand the beach/island resort areas such as Ko Phi Phi Don, Railay West, Koh Ngai, etc., need to be booked very soon since thousands upon thousands flock to Thailand for the holidays.
PS--if you've got more questions regarding Thailand, please feel free to ask on the Thai and/or Thai & Indochina forums.

#8 seagypsy has been a member since 5/2/2009. Posts: 136

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.