Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Gibbon Experience to Nong Khiaw

Posted by hc75 on 12/8/2009 at 18:48

Hi,

I'm planning to do the Gibbon Experience in December and would like to travel to Nong Khiaw after that. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best (quickest) way to get there? I gather after you finish the Gibbon Experience you can catch a bus to Luang Nam Tha from the nearby village rather than going back to Huay Xai , but how long does this take and is it possible to go on to Udomxai in the same day? Alternatively I could go back to Huay Xai and bus it to Luang Prabang, but again, does anyone have any experience of when the buses go and how long the journey takes in December? Please don't recommend the 2 day boat ride!

Thanks a lot!

#1 hc75 has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderingcat on 12/8/2009 at 21:48

'nearby village' = Ban Don Chai
here you can get on any bus originating from HX & bound for LNT, LPB or Vientiane. be prepared for crowded buses.

can refer to timetables here to work out the connections:
http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2008/07/bussongthaew-schedulesdetails.html

possible to do Ban Don Chai > LNT > Oudomxay (ODX) in a day if you catch the earliest bus out of HX as it passes through Ban Don Chai, & then the last LNT-ODX bus of the day. get the once daily direct ODX-NK bus/songthaew the next morning.

how long bus journeys take - hard to say how many stops the bus will make, how many times it might break down, & whether 2009's rainy season (still in progress) will matche up to last year's in terms of road damage. ideally:
HX > LNT = 3.5++h
LNT > ODX = 4+++h
ODX > NK = 4.5++++h

if you have time for a more beautiful 2-day boat ride, could consider going to Muang Khua from ODX & then Muang Khua-NK by boat.

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by hc75 on 12/8/2009 at 22:15

Very useful. Thanks a lot.

#3 hc75 has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.