Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laoz without Borders

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSUJwDZDR8

Great Video I think the guys are chefs back wherever they come from, I like the opening scene where they make monitor lizard laap. From a reply on another web site it seems they made 5 different dishes from the lizard, the undercooked laap was from the blood and some organs. Proabaly Sua from some of the meat and a gaeng from the juices of cooking the meat but that's all just a guess.

Notice how they put the thing in the fire then scraped the scales off, the skin and fat just under it are very tender and tasty.

Big Bike Boyz danger do not view this video as they show them doing
    "the loop" up by Tahkhet on, , , shudder "mopeds".

The rest fairly mundane, tubing in Vang Vien, market in Vientiane. (is that Dalat Thong Khan Kham?)

#1 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 23:52

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for that somsai -- great post breakfast viewing. Was interesting they fed the lizard the rice wine before slaughtering it.

#2 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 07:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

fed the lizard the rice wine before slaughtering it.

'internal' marination?

#3 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 10:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Big Bike Boyz danger do not view this video as they show them doing
    "the loop" up by Tahkhet on, , , shudder "mopeds"."

And one of the guys is not wearing a helmut. I have no doubt you can drive around Laos on those crappy bikes, but I also have no doubt (born of experience) that larger bikes are safer and more comfortable.

You ever watch that ridiculous show "Jackass"?? Just because you can do that crap doesn't mean it's smart.

Good video though. Thanks for posting.

#4 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 12:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And unless I was in survival mode trying escape the Pathet Laos, I ain't eating that lizard. Certainly not the way that one was prepared. I looked inside that pot... revolting. Looks like something people in Isaan would eat and tell me "it's delicious" (been down that road many times).

#5 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 12:18

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Didn't like the feeding rice wine part, I wouldn't abuse even a monitor lizard.

If you watch the guy eating the laap he first has to overcome his revulsion at putting raw bloody lizard guts in his mouth, then allow himself to actually taste them to see how good it is. He decides taste wise they aren't that bad, then swallows.

It's one thing to swallow something objectionable, it's another to allow yourself to overcome squeamishness and taste it. If humans eat it, and enjoy it, it must taste good, just an issue of learning to like it.

Worst part on the bikes, they're smiling and having fun, the audacity, tsk tsk.

#6 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 20:10

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Perhaps the rice wine was to make things easier for the lizard? Or was it a kind of internal marinade, a certain je ne sais quoi secret ingredient to this traditional Lao dish?

Raw monitor lizard liver, kidney, penis, mixed with blood, lemon grass and spring onions ... how perfectly yummy. March 30th is my birthday too but I think I'd have been ever so awkward and opted for pizza as a special birthday treat if I'd been there!

Vang Vieng seems to have changed a bit ... I didn't hang around there long but I can't remember seeing any water slides and ziplines when I was there. When did they put those in?

#7 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 22:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Eating raw anything meat wise is a supremely bad idea - even if it does taste good. I had a hard time explaining to my father in law that the cooking process kills parasites which can have negative health effects. Don't eat raw meat - EVER.

"Worst part on the bikes, they're smiling and having fun, the audacity, tsk tsk."

That's the best part. Not sure why they couldn't find a couple of hot Vietnamese chicks to ride with them though - must be the safety thing.

And the zip lines rock. I admit, I'm planning a trip to Vang Vieng for those things.

#8 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 00:35

• withoutbord-
    ers

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009
    Location Canada

Hey! This is Chad from "Without Borders"! Thanks for posting our video up! Just to answer a few questions, yes we are all Chefs from Canada but have worked around the world in Europe, U.K., Australia, New Zealand, etc.
    They fed the lizzard Laos laos to thin the blood. The lizzard was not bad. It's about the fun, experience and getting in to the culture, and food is a great way to do it.
    We travel around Asia and go in to kitchens and street stalls to learn some of their national dishes as well as some wierd ones. Some people may get offended by some of the videos we put up, but thats life in Asia.
    As for "the loop", It was f'n awesome! All the highlights of our trips have been renting scooters and taking the back roads.

We were in Vang Vieng 7 years ago, and there were no zip lines/swings.
    3 years ago, there were a few. Now, there are loads, and the slide is sick! Its a fun gettaway for a few days and if you just drive 10 minutes out of Vang Vieng, the culture is there too.
    We have about a dozen videos from different countries up now. Check them out on youtube or look at our website.

Any questions please ask.

Later.

#9 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 01:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Thanks for the info Chad. I'm not interested in the local "culinary culture" in the slightest - I'm not a fan of SE Asian food. But I am definitely interested in the zip lines and that water slide!!!

#10 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 02:01

• Advertisement

• withoutbord-
    ers

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009
    Location Canada

Thats ok, whatever interests you! Then if you are up for a party, its better than Thailand's full moon party in my opinions. It's SICK!

#11 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 02:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'll be checking it out next year for sure. Thanks for the vid!

#12 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 02:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.