Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Pharmacy - Vientiane

• yozza2009

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

Hello,

After reading some posts regarding Malaria. Im considering buying some doxycycline on arrival. (I already have enough for a week of my trip), can anyone recommend a pharmacy in central Vientiane that will sell doxy.

Yoz.

#1 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 03:13

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

yozza

I'm answering this because I'm very cranky at how people seem to get misled by the drug companies, or doctors, into believing that they have to fill their bodies with harmful chemicals just in case.

Please go and read this about doxy, and this regarding a preventative lotion.

For most western travellers, few get to the actual malaria risk areas. So, unless you plan on getting way out to the back block boonies, it may be best to look at prevention measures like appropriate clothing, bug repellent spray, and mosquito nets at night (or an aircon / fan room).

Cheers

#2 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 14:57

• yozza2009

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

I appreciate your reply and link. Though i'd feel far more comfortable (or perhaps not because of potential side effects) taking doxy. How easiliy can doxy be bought over the counter in Vietiane without a prescription?

#3 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 16:54

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It can't be bought over the counter. If you want it, go to the French Embassy clinic or the Australian Embassy clinic and ask the doctor for it. You don't need it, of course.

#4 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 13:24

• sketchell

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2009

Like anything in SE Asia, Doxy can be purchased over the counter in Vientiane without a prescription. There are a number of Pharmacies willing to provide them around Rue Samsenthai and Setthathilath. Whether you should be taking them is not for me to say.

#5 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 16:03

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Doxy can be purchased over the counter"

Try to purchase it and you will see it is not available to be purchased.

#6 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 08:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.