Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Pharmacy - Vientiane

Posted by yozza2009 on 17/8/2009 at 03:13

Hello,

After reading some posts regarding Malaria. Im considering buying some doxycycline on arrival. (I already have enough for a week of my trip), can anyone recommend a pharmacy in central Vientiane that will sell doxy.

Yoz.

#1 yozza2009 has been a member since 30/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by BruceMoon on 17/8/2009 at 14:57

yozza

I'm answering this because I'm very cranky at how people seem to get misled by the drug companies, or doctors, into believing that they have to fill their bodies with harmful chemicals just in case.

Please go and read this about doxy, and this regarding a preventative lotion.

For most western travellers, few get to the actual malaria risk areas. So, unless you plan on getting way out to the back block boonies, it may be best to look at prevention measures like appropriate clothing, bug repellent spray, and mosquito nets at night (or an aircon / fan room).

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by yozza2009 on 17/8/2009 at 16:54

I appreciate your reply and link. Though i'd feel far more comfortable (or perhaps not because of potential side effects) taking doxy. How easiliy can doxy be bought over the counter in Vietiane without a prescription?

#3 yozza2009 has been a member since 30/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by Rufus on 18/8/2009 at 13:24

It can't be bought over the counter. If you want it, go to the French Embassy clinic or the Australian Embassy clinic and ask the doctor for it. You don't need it, of course.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by sketchell on 18/8/2009 at 16:03

Like anything in SE Asia, Doxy can be purchased over the counter in Vientiane without a prescription. There are a number of Pharmacies willing to provide them around Rue Samsenthai and Setthathilath. Whether you should be taking them is not for me to say.

#5 sketchell has been a member since 28/4/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by Rufus on 19/8/2009 at 08:35

"Doxy can be purchased over the counter"

Try to purchase it and you will see it is not available to be purchased.

#6 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.