Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Apartment in Luang Prabang

• postbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Any ideas on how I can find self catering apartment in Luang Prabang.I want to go for a couple of months Jan and Feb and cant find much out there

#1 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 00:49

• Advertisement

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

You mean like service apartments in Chiang Mai and Bangkok?
    None that I'm aware of. Sure there are some dorms associated with Suvanaphoum U. but not for use by tourists. No such thing as condos or time shares but give it time and maybe in 5 years or so some deep pocket investors might give it a go. Otherwise, you could always negotiate a long-term stay at a guesthouse which I did for several 6 months period until my home was built.

#2 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 03:07

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

BTW, I think there are service apartments in Vientiane though. Close to the Novotel area or there abouts.

#3 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 06:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Only place I can think of is Mekong Estate -- but it ain't cheap!

#4 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 06:52

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

somtam,
    Hey, that place is directly across from l'Elephant Restaurant in LP! Forgot about that place. It's more a villa than an apartment. And come to think of it, there are private villas that can be rented long term in LP. Forgot about that market. Good point!

#5 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 11:34

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Last time I was there (late 2008) I saw a number of signs in the cafes alluding to mid-term rentals. I'd wait till you got there and sus something out.

#6 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:45

• postbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Hi Folks.Thanks for all the info.You have all been very informative.Had a look at Mekong Estate but it is well expensive.Although our budget is more than an 18 year olds gap year we aint that rich.I was hoping for maybe a small villa or something for about $800 a month.Sounds like pitching up and having a look around may be our best bet.

Thanks Again

#7 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 01:01

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

U$800 should get you something pretty nice in Luang Prabang. I know one expat couple who are renting a two story house with 2+ bedrooms upstairs and a rooftop patio for only U$500/month. They've got a long-term lease and the house itself is only a few years old.
    Yep, I think it's best to show up, get your bearings as to where you want to live, and take a look around because I've seen some homes with rental signs in the windows.

#8 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 01:50

• mmmmbeerlao

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

Get into town and talk to the guy who runs the Lao Lao Gardens BBQ restaurant. Im sure he would be happy to help you. Him and his freinds are great people. He could help you for sure

#9 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 11:12

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

my husband and I are looking for a flat, apartment or suite to
    stay in Luang Prabang in July and August 2011,before we move back to Berlin. The
    place should definitely have a double bed, a desk and a chair and

internet, and it would be great if it had a kitchen or soome kitchen
    facilities (but not necessary) and a living room. Size should be at
    least 40 sqms.

Our budget is USD 500 incluing bills.

Does anyone know about such a place or have an idea how to look for one from home? (obviously, I put these things into google, but didn't really find anything)

thanks!!

#10 Posted: 2/2/2011 - 16:53

• Advertisement

• Tira

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

Travelinchen and all, can you let me know if you found something for your July/August stay? I am planning on going to Luang Prabang in April for 4 to 5 months and would very much like to find a small apt that has kitchen facility and, hopefully, hot water/shower ;-P Any help is much appreciated. Thank you all

#11 Posted: 12/2/2012 - 09:35

• Oztravels

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2012

We found a nice small house (US$300 per month). Like most of the places we have found it just takes a few days wandering around asking at shops, bars etc. (just stay in a guest house in the mean time) Also in the old town there are quite a few 'house for rent' signs. You will pay a bit more in the old town though.

Cheers

David

#12 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 22:06

• Tira

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

David, Do you have a contact info as I will be going end of March and that prices sounds really good.. How was it / was it furnished, kitchen etc.? Thank you for your feedback. Tira

#13 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 00:48

• Oztravels

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2012

Hi Tira. Sorry I should have been clearer. We are still in the house until the end of June. As I said you just need to wander around town and chat with people. I know the owner of the Icon Klub mentioned a house thats available in the old town Look for her Facebook page and ask.

Good luck

Cheers

D

#14 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 01:04

• ProjectLP

Click here to learn more about ProjectLP
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012
    Location Earth

Hello Tira,

I saw few houses for rent in the peninsula. If you are interested, please find a way to contact me and I will provide you the phone numbers that I noted during my last trip to Luang Prabang. Or I can introduce you to a local that has a very good knowledge of the properties for sale; so I presume he knows the places for rent also.

Unfortunately, it may be difficult to conclude a deal before physically going to Luang Prabang. I think the best is to go there first and stay in a guesthouse until you find something that you like.

Good luck !

#15 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 03:35

• Tira

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

Thanks Oztravels and ProjectLP. Unfortunately I don't know how to contact you but I've changed my setting which might make it possible for you to send me an email directly. In the settings I set "messaging" to "enable". No idea if this would actually work.

Maybe we could meet once I'm in LP, will arrive on Apr. 3. As you suggested, that is what I had planned, to stay at a Guesthouse for the beginning and then look around.

As I'll be volunteering for a few month, don't know yet where, I'll try to get an inexpensive accommodation, like the $300 is really good.

Do let me know if it is possible for you to contact me or maybe you want to change your setting so I can contact you. I will see if I can find out another way to contact you directly.

#16 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 08:19

• ProjectLP

Click here to learn more about ProjectLP
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012
    Location Earth

Hello Tira,

I confirm that I am still not able to contact you by Travelfish. I did change my settings and it seems that it is now possible to contact me. If you are still unable, you can contact me through other methods. Just look carefully.

I am sorry that I cannot provide you the phone numbers of the houses to rent through this site. I don’t know if it is permitted and I don’t know the owners of the houses; they may be upset. I also have no idea of the rental fee, but I believe 300 USD per month should get you something quite comfortable.

If you already found a long-term accommodation, enjoy your stay in Luang Prabang !

#17 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:33

• lostinlaos

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

You cannot legally rent houses in LPB without a work visa , the police and village cheif will soon be sniffing at your door ...and now most Laos want one year rent upfront.....my advice go to guesthouse ....

#18 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 03:47

• Tira

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

Thanks, lostinlaos, for your feedback. You are correct, but I found out that until the police comes knocking at your door one is ok. Then they might/will probably just tell you to leave right away, but no further action is taken by the police unless you are not willing to move. I have rented now for a few months and nothing happened, but I'm also in the process of getting the B2 visa. Still looking around though. Thanks again, Tira

#19 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 09:23

• Tactiletext-
    ile

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2012

Dear Tira: I will be travellin to Laos in September for town months, and my situation is very similar to yours (Will be in LP for two months, looking for a place to stay for $250-$300 per month). I am curious about what you have discovered during your stay and if you have any contacts?

Dear David/ Oztravels : Are you still in your house? I see in your post your intention was to stay until the end of June, and like Tira I am interested in the house you are staying in.

#20 Posted: 22/8/2012 - 11:39

• Tira

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

OztravelOs, I have, in the meantime found a place but wonder about the house you were staying in as I might want to move to a different place. Is there a way to contact you directly? I am still in LP. Thank you. T

#21 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 11:13

• Tira

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

Tactiletextile, Unfortunaely I don't have any contacts for you but as David and others said, once you are here it's best to just drive around and call the numbers posted everywhere. The thing is, though, if you don't have a business visa it might be a bit tricky as the police can come and ask you to leave within 24 hours. You may know that already. Don't know what your situation is, if you have a job here. Is there a way I can contact you directly? Maybe we can hook up at some point and I can give you some leads. T

#22 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 11:19

• Tactiletext-
    ile

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2012

Thanks Tira. Can you message me directly through Travelfish? I'm coming in September, would love to meet you.

#23 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 07:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9502 19 Aug 2011