Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Chiang Rai to Luang Probang and return

• ano_1

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

We are a family of 5 wanting to travel from either Chaing Rai or Chiang Mai to Luang Probang and back and considering the entire journey by road to maximise our limited time in Laos. Would greatly appreciate any recent/ up to date information or advice in organising this trip. (have gone off the idea of the river due to some of the other posts on travelfish).
    Ano_=1 Australia

#1 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 10:54

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ano

I did the journey earlier this year. Go see my blog on that part of my trip, here .

Whichever way you do the land/river journey, it takes 3 days. Chaing Mai > Chiang Khong VIP minibus 5 hrs (arrive @ 3pm-ish) border crossing about half to 1 hour. Overnight Huay Xai . Huay Xai to Lunag Nam Tha bus station about 5 hours. Bus station to Luang Nam Tha 'centre' 10 mins. Overnight Luang Nam Tha. Luang Nam Tha bus station to Luang Prabang about 7 hours.

Alternative?

Fly Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang, approx US$90 / person. Use the extra time for a 2 day excursion up the Nam Ou, with or without a day trek, or an elephant trek, or a 3 day trip to Vang Vieng.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 11:41

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Don't know what info you read on other posts about river but you need to take a lot of the info on these forums with salt. Some info uninformed and some just plain old outright wrong.

I liked Hacky's suggestion on that other forum, (reply #4) for the cost of 5 people you can rent the whole boat, plenty of room to stretch out your legs then. Leisurely lunch at the riverside restaurant in Pak Beng then on into Luang Praban early enough to find your way around and stuff. Kids love the fast boat.

Bus boat schedules to everywhere here.
    http://laomeow.blogspot.com/index.html

The bus can also be done in a day from Huay Xai but it takes minimum 12 hours and leaves mid day from Huay Xai, so you arrive in Luang Prabang in the middle of the night.

No matter what you do you are going to spend a day in transit from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang, more than likely a tiring day. My question is do you realy need to go to Luang Prabang that much? Luang Namtha is very nice and much closer.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 20:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

somsai

Being a family of 5, there may well be 2 adults & 3 kids. If that is the case, they could fly CM > LP, boat up the Nam Ou to Nong Khiaw, hire a vehicle to take them to Oudomxay, regular bus to LNT - maybe some time there and visit Muang Sing, then bus to Huay Xai and go pursue the Gibbon Experience before returning to CM.

That would be a journey to write home about. If there were kids, imagine the conversations when they returned home to school!!!

Cheers

#4 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 20:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

somsai are you referring to a thread on TT? I thought hacky had bailed on that forum eons ago. To tired to check now, but if you can pony up the cash I'd go the private boat charter -- it's a spectacular trip (as long as you don't have to share it with 100 others)!

#5 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 21:20

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stuart

How long since you floated down the Mekong in that neck of the woods?

just wondering

#6 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 21:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Icon bar luang probang ... By duncmanoner on 31 Jan 2011 0 1797 31 Jan 2011
Luang Probang to Chang Mai ... By ifoy6240 on 2 Dec 2006 5 2474 19 Feb 2007
Luang probang back to Thailand Islands? ... By patricialalonde on 18 Nov 2010 3 1427 19 Nov 2010