Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang during New Years

• jsham84

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

I will be traveling to Luang Prabang during new Years, roughly from Dec. 28 to Jan. 3. Ive been trying to book something online but havent been able to find anything. I know that the slow boat from Thailand gets in around dusk. Will it be possible to find accomodation upon arrival_

#1 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 23:19

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

most of the budget places (below USD10-12) tend to not accept advanced bookings, just too many no-shows. though tourists are constantly 'treadmilling' down the Huay Xai-LPB- Vang Vieng -VTE trail, so you could crash in any place you can find for the first night & then hunt for a better/more centrally located place the next morning when the previous slowboat-load empties out of LPB guesthouses to continue south to Vang Vieng ;)

most turn to what's listed in guidebooks, but there are plenty of unlisted/new places. what's your budget?

for higher budget, reliable online booking syst i've used for LPB (for a place not listed in Travelfish) is: http://www.luang-prabang-hotels.com

btw, quite a few places in LPB up their rates (some quite drastically) for Christmas & New Year's, incl some of the places listed in Travelfish.

#2 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 00:24

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

jsham bear in mind I don't go to Luang Prabang much, and haven't been there during New Years for 4 years but....

My bus got in at 6pm due to an accident and flat tire and it was a horror show. I hopped on the motorcycle of a tout and it took us an hour and a half to find a room, we steadily worked our way out of town, each of us taking one side of a street, then back on the bike to another tourist area, I speak Lao. There were other tourists doing the same on tuk tuks, not fun, thought I'd be sleeping at the wat.

Things are supposed to be slower due to the downturn in the world econmomy. The week after Christmas to maybe a week after New Years are the height of the high season.

Sok Dee

#3 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 08:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New Years in Luang Prabang vs. Chiang Mai ... By Kostichka on 26 Feb 2009 3 2135 26 Mar 2009
Khmu & Hmong New Years, Luang Prabang? ... By glomer on 10 Nov 2010 4 2790 16 Nov 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9549 19 Aug 2011