Flag of Laos

Laos forum

If you had 30 days in Laos ..... (North and/or South)

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

would you do both the north and the south? We are entering/exiting Laos via return flight KL-Vientiane so a bit of backtracking will be involved if we do both north and south.

I know the above sounds like a bit of a no-brainer question but if we miss the south are we really missing much of Laos? With all of our previous travels we have been on the move quite a lot and this time we thought we might do something different, like spending 2+ weeks in LP.

We are interested in scenery and the people (not treking as we have done that a few times in other places like Vietnam). We like to get on a bike and just ride around, will do the river trip up to Nong Kiaow/Muang Ngoi. Will spend some time in VV and I'm sure our 2 teens will enjoy that for a number of reasons. We are temple nuts but are we missing much in bypassing Champasak?

We won't be venturing much past LP either way, so places like Luang Nam Tha etc are out. Too difficult to ge to some of these places, even LP-Phonsavan is like 10 hours on a bus. So this leaves only a few places to visit for 30 days in the north.

The south seems nice and right up our alley but is it that different to the north; and considered a must see (Pakse/Bolaven Plateau/Champasak/4000 islands), especially when one has 30 days visiting the country.

Yeah I know, only I can decide, but I'd be interested in what you guys have to say anyway. By the way, one reason we are thinking of just doing the north is we are getting a bit of resistance from our 2 teens about being on the road too much.

#1 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 12:16

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

depending on when you'll be in Laos, Pakse airport might (not) be reopened. was scheduled to reopen in early Sept, & then end Sept, & then end Oct...
    if it is open by the time you're in Laos, & Lao Airlines resumes flights from Pakse to Vientiane & Luang Prabang, then this could do away with long bus journeys to get to/from Champasak.
    if it isn't open yet, could consider flying between Vientiane & Savannakhet, then ~3.5-4h bus to Pakse.
    check domestic schedule on laoairlines.com, & also confirm with the airline.

#2 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 21:39

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i asked a similar question a while ago, its still on the first Laos thread page. I am arriving by land from China but there might still be useful information in there.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 07:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#4 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 08:33

• dclayw

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008

Yes I did see the christay2000 thread and it did help somewhat.

If we go to the south we'll be flying at least one direction so that adds to the expense. Our trip will be late Dec early Jan at the busy time so I expect Pakse airport will be open by then, but who knows.

At Don Khon we were also planning on staying at Sala Phae on the floating raft bungalows. Many good views on that but very expensive compared to the rest of the accommodation in the area. Last year it was US$50/night (for 4 people), it is now $70 night. Nothing ever stays the same does it.

#5 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 09:17

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

You mention that you enjoy temples, so you may like Wat Phu Champasak. I liked Champasak, Pakse and Savannakhet in particular. There are some interesting colonial-era buildings in the south, but of course you can see suchlike elsewhere. Oh, and Savannakhet has a Dinosaur Museum. Could do with a bit of funding, though.

It depends on what you want to see and do. I'm quite content to sit at a cafe and drink coffee.

Also glad I went to Phonsavan...............

#6 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 14:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I can't say that Savankhet represents the rest of the south, but the entire place is moving in slow motion. I found it to be largely dusty, atrophying and boring. Apparantly LP, Vientiane and VV are places where things are moving a little faster. So if it were me, I'd be sticking up north. But I caution that's only based on what others such as Somsai and Rufus have said here.

#7 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 14:38

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I find that there is something to interest me in any place I go.

#8 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 04:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I suspect my interests are narrower.

#9 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 18:12

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

it sounds like dclayw has already made a good case for spending that 30 days in the north. i think it will go a loooong way, by the way, but it could be pretty great to just settle in and really relax in a place like luang prabang or vientiane.

i've done two "north only" trips through laos now, so i'm pretty keen to get to southern laos this time. after a quick stopover in mukdahan to compare notes with MADMAC, i'll be off to pakse and champassak to see wat phu. then again, what i'm seeking is exactly that peace and quiet, sitting along the river drinking a beer, relaxing bicycle ride through the fields type of experience for that week or so.

i will confirm what others have said that there is quite a bit going on in places like luang prabang and vientiane and vang vieng. but even so i'd be surprised if you don't add at least one or two additional spots to your plans.

anyway, keep us posted. i'll be hitting southern laos exactly about the time you would be going, if you decide to head that way. cheers.

#10 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 10:00

• Advertisement

• fuzzy321

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

I would recommend stayin longer in VV and LP.Loved VV loads. tubing was awesome.. 4000 islands cud be an awesome place to unwind and relax. But do bare in mind bout d 4 hr electricity per day^^

#11 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 22:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10 days in vietnam : North vs South ? Both ? ... By robkius on 2 Jul 2010 1 3932 3 Jul 2010
24 days south-to-north trip in April ... By Rahel on 21 Mar 2011 4 3127 23 Mar 2011
Itinerary Critique - Vietnam South to North in 6 days ... By camsydt on 3 May 2013 8 1995 12 May 2013
Dilemma - 11 days in Vietnam (4 lost up North) - Head straight South after? ... By alt on 9 Dec 2011 3 2019 9 Dec 2011
Possible Laos North to South itinarary ... By amarradia on 1 Jul 2009 8 3173 5 Jul 2009
Travling north Laos to the south ... By Oligodfrey on 25 Sep 2013 20 1673 30 Sep 2013
Two weeks in Laos from North to South, advices? ... By bar002 on 12 Feb 2010 16 2862 18 Feb 2010
3 weeks in Laos: 1 for the south and 2 for the north. It is feasible ? ... By vuh on 2 May 2007 4 2357 29 Jun 2007
A month in Laos - stay in the North or head down South? ... By christay2009 on 22 Jun 2009 33 6122 19 Sep 2009
12 days BKK to Laos, northern Laos Itinerary help (LP and points north) ... By jaxphoto on 17 Feb 2011 8 3268 21 Feb 2011