Making cheap phone calls on mobile in Laos to UK

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Hi

Off to Laos next week. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap way of making mobile phone calls to the UK whilst I am there as I want to keep in touch with the boyfriend (he doesn't have computer/skype facilities so internet cafes aren't really an alternative).

I have a UK mobile phone contract and it costs ALOT to use it in Asia (I stupidly used my phone in Vietnam this year and ran up a bill bigger than my airfare out to Asia!!)

I have tried searching the internet etc but only seem to be finding info re: pre-paid cards which allow cheap calls TO Laos, rather than phoning out of the country.

Does anyone have any advice about calling cards/know how much local sims cost and what I will get for my money etc?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

#1 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 02:14

• Advertisement

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

Is it really important for you to use a mobile when making calls? If not, internet shops with attached phone service are probably your best bet (not sure about the prices, but they are a lot less expensive then your UK phone). You may also use a Skype account to ring any number in the UK, check their Pricelist.

In Indonesia, prices for occasionally calling europe were close-to-acceptable with local sim-cards. I do not know the rates in Laos, maybe someone else can chip in.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 04:09

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I just bought a local phone, cheap. Around ten cents a minute. Phone and sim card set me back 500 baht.

#3 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 10:38

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Due to time differences/boyfriend's work pattern etc, I probably will need to rely on using a mobile whilst I am over there so buying a phone and sim sounds like the perfect answer. I assume they are easy enough to buy/find?!

Thanks guys.

#4 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 20:46

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

They should be easily available, the bigger the city, the better...
    You can bring your own phone and just plug in the lao sim card. Check out the conditions of the different providers when there, [a href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293949-i9320-k3085229-Sim_card_and_charges-Laos.html"]here[/a] are some more tips.

#5 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 21:20

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

damn, link again in bbcode:
    Sim Card and Charges - Laos

#6 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 21:22

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Ooh thanks for that link - the tip about dialling codes is particularly useful!

Unfortunately I have a locked iphone but by the sounds of it it shouldn't be too hard or expensive to pick up a cheap phone at the same time as the sim card.

Oh and I fly into Vientiene so figure I will be safe on "the bigger the city..." part!

#7 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 03:52

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

On the opposite side of the street from the morning market, and a block or two further down, you'll see big billboard signs above phone stores and a side street filled with phone stores. This is the street leading to the main office of the National Phone Company and the stores seem to have sprung up along the way.

The mostly Chinese and Vietnamese kids working in those places are wizards. They should have you talking on your own phone in half an hour. I like the cheap simple Nokia's that seem to have flooded the market. No camera, no bells and whistles, simple to use, wish I could use it here in the states.

There are many other places but I pointed you towards the biggest best I know of. Others are back of morning market itself, across the street at dalat kua din, or other places.

#8 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 07:06

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

I guess you mean the Nokia 1200 - got mine when I was in Asia. 20 bucks, battery lasts forever and..... it got a flashlight! Perfect mobile.

#9 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 10:10

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

Just realised the mess with "mobile standards"... So, basically, if you're from Europe, you can bring your phone to Asia. If you're from the Americas - well, it depends.

#10 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 10:16

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Buy an ETL sim card. Calls to os are cheap. If you go to Talat Sao they will unlock your phone for you.

#11 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 15:36

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Does anyone know if china mobile works in Laos? I bought a aim in china and still have adair amount of credit!

Thanks

#12 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 18:25

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Sure, up in Ou Tai it's the only thing that does work. Not so handy in the rest of the country, still good enough reason to go to Ou Tai.

Map Ou Tai

Probably good in Ou Neua and Phou Neua too but I never went there to see what kind of coverage. All your small Chinese money works up there too, Fen and Jiao and what not. Those fen coins float on water you know.

#13 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 09:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I just bought a local phone, cheap. Around ten cents a minute. Phone and sim card set me back 500 baht."

I'm with Somsai here. This is the way to go. Cheap, easy. I bought a cheap phone in Thailand - didn't pay squat for it. Use one to call... painfully easy and very cheap. Calls back to the States cost almost nothing. Laos sounds the same (funny but when in Savankhet I am still using Thai phone service).

#14 Posted: 27/9/2009 - 01:30

• alkis

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2009

hi

Before you leave the uk you can install near your computer an adapter called Rylwy, and you will be able to remote access your landline and cellphone for free.

DANIEL

#15 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 15:39

• MyLaoHome

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2009
    Location Laos

Basically you can get a sim card from any of the vendors.

There have been guests asking us this repeated questions so our own hotel sells these cards for the guests where you can top them up yourselves at any grocery stores.

Here are the following cards that you can get:

1. Tigo (costs about $1.20USD for the card and comes with $1.20 worth of call value)
    How to Call
    Dial 177 + country code + and telephone number
    For eg: Autralia: 177 61 XXXXXXXXX
    Using 177 will cost you 2000 kip or about ($0.25) a minute.
    Tigo comes with free SMS service to Thai and Vietnamese networks.
    For a list of country codes refer here:
    http://www.tigolao.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=28&Itemid=39

2. ETL
    Dial 188 + country code + and telephone number
    For eg: Autralia: 188 61 XXXXXXXXX
    Using 177 will cost you 1999 kip or about ($0.25) a minute.
    For a list of country codes refer here:
    http://www.etllao.com/service/ecall.html

3. Lao Telecom
    Dial 00 + country code + and telephone number
    For eg: Autralia: 00 61 XXXXXXXXX
    Using 00 will cost you 2000 kip or about ($0.25) a minute.

Hope this helps anyone who will be going to Laos in the future

#16 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 13:17

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Why cheap international calling cards?"
    This is a waste of time in Lao.

#17 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 20:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
MOBILE PHONE ... By MILKDOG on 21 Sep 2006 2 2031 23 Sep 2006
Mobile phone while traveling? ... By LeChron on 9 Jan 2011 8 8816 10 Jan 2011
What is the most versatile mobile phone to use in Asia? ... By gregoreye on 3 Jun 2009 4 4904 5 Dec 2009
Buying a mobile phone - Thailand or Malaysia? ... By appro on 9 Aug 2010 0 3507 9 Aug 2010
online bus tickets - did someone book it before by mobile phone? ... By GuideLion on 6 Mar 2014 4 682 8 Mar 2014
blackberry phone vietnam very cheap ... By sayadian on 16 Mar 2009 1 3577 27 Mar 2009
Cheap international phone call numbers list ... By SBE on 11 Sep 2010 0 2140 11 Sep 2010