Flag of Laos

Laos forum

2 and a half months! where to go?!

• wordy

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

ok, i've managed to wrangle myself 2 to two and a half months off work. Where to go.... right, i've been to phuket, so i dont wanna go back there, and i travelled vietnam a couple of years ago. This is my idea, Fly to Laos, travel down laos and do the tubing etc, into cambodia, and then fly to singapore and onto kuala lumpur for a few days. I fancy going to koh samui for the new year and xmas for the full moon party, then flying onto bangkok for a few days before flying home. Thinking of going maybe early november and coming back mid jan. Am i trying to fit too much in??? also does anyone have any other opinions of where i should go, ie. another route from laos into koh samui?? because those are my must visits! I'm going alone for a big adventure! so some help would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks!!

Jon

#1 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 23:31

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

I'd say you're plan sounds good for the amount of time and I personally think it's a great idea. You'll get to see the country and have a bit of adventure in Laos and Cambodia (could also see a good amount of historic ruins/temples in southern Laos and Cambodia i.e. Pakse, Angkor, etc.), and then I like how you'll end the the trip by contrasting the country/beach with what may be considered the three best urban epicenters of SE Asia. And it's real cheap to fly between those three so you won't be looking at a super expensive trip either.

Logistically speaking, it will probably make sense to fly to Vientiane from Bangkok, so you may as well purchase round trip tickets in and out of BKK since you say you'll be flying home from there anyway. Assuming you work your way down through Laos, you'll probably want to check out 10,000 islands and go into Cambodia via the Mekong (I've never done this but someone should be able to give you advice on it). You could follow the Mekong all the way to Phnom Penh, spend a few days there, then head up towards Tonle Sap, Siem Reap and Angkor, and spend a few days around there (I personally would say to skip the Cambodia coast since you'll be at better beaches in Thailand later). From Siem Reap you could fly to Bangkok on Bangkok Air which is on the expensive side, or go overland through Poi Pet/Aranyaprathet and catch a bus to BKK from there, and then catch a flight to Singapore from BKK ( this would probably be a cheaper way to get to Singapore than from Siem Reap though you might be able to find a decent fare from PP to Sing). Exactly how you do the Singapore > KL > Samui/Phangan > Bangkok route is up to you (of course you could flip it around completely), but there are cheap flights available to/from all those places except Samui/Phangan on Air Asia (Air Asia does fly to Krabi and/ or Surat Thani I believe, putting you close to Samui).

Overall a very manageable itinerary for two and a half months - have fun!

#2 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 00:56

• wordy

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

thats really helpful advice!! thanks so much! i'm buzzing with excitement! thanks again!!

jon

#3 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 01:11

• wordy

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

hi sorry, a quick question, is it better to pre book flights or can i just get them on the internet, last minute when i'm out there??

#4 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 04:11

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

It's not a problem to get them on the internet while you're there, but if you want to make sure to lock in a good deal then book a good 2 or 3 weeks in advance at least. If you find that a flight is sold out when you go to book check with a travel agent in Bangkok (Air Asia has one right at the top of Khao San Rd. in BKK), and they may be able to help. I wouldn't worry as much about Singapore > KL > BKK (or any combo of those) b/c there are a lot of flights each day on both Air Asia and Jetstar. But for flying to Laos or Surat Thani I would be more apt to book those in advance.

#5 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 06:17

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

Also on the Sing > KL > Samui/Phangan > BKK route, you could do one or more of those stretches overland if you don't want so many flights. It's not more than a day of travel between any of those places, though the one thing I would do for sure is fly from KL to Krabi on Air Asia (that's around U$ 80), and make your way up to Samui/Phangan from there (thus avoiding the Malaysia border and tumultuous southern Thailand. On your way back to BKK from Phangan you could check out Koh Tao on the way and then ferry back to Chumphon and catch a train or bus up to BKK from there. (of course I don't know your timetable as far as being in the islands for Christmas).

Damn you're making me want to travel!

#6 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 06:29

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

sorry U$ 80 was supposed to be U$ 50. You should be able to find BKK to Singapore for around that price too.

#7 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 06:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.