Flag of Laos

Laos forum

24 hours in Vientiane..

• sarahg54

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

What to do...?
    I am arriving on 17th of Oct on the Bangkok-Nong Khai train then crossing the Friendship Bridge border, so I suppose I'll arrive in Vientiane at around 10am. Have a flight to Hanoi the next day (not long, but can't be helped unfortunately..)
    Any must-see highlights, or suggestions for eating sleeping would be much appreciated.
    Thanks-from a long-time reader but first-time poster :)

#1 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 10:07

• Advertisement

• wilfried

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2008

sarah,
    for only one-day stay vientiane must-see's are wat sisaket (one end of Lane Xang Av.), Patuxai (other end of L.X.Av.) plus 3 km walk to Wat That Luang.... if some time left wat Si Muang (where Setthatirat and Semsenthai Rds meet) or History museum (Semsenthai)
    guesthouses galore around Fa Ngum, Setthatirat Rd (centre)
    good hint Lani Gh (great old French colonial residence!!!) (small side street of Setthatirat Rd) appr. 20 euro incl. breakfast

#2 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 15:24

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Have to say I wasn't too struck on the Lani guesthouse when we stayed there. The house itself IS a nice colonial residence but the room wasn't that great for the price. The furniture and bedding was old, the bathroom a little grubby, and there were lots of cockroaches in the room.

We stayed there for a night, and then moved to the Mali Namphu for a few nights.

#3 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 19:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Sarah,

Wilfried has several great suggestions on how to make the most of your 24 hours. I second his suggestion that That Luang, Patuxai and the adjacent park, and the Lao National Museum are must sees. I'd also add Wat Haw Phra Kaew to that list, along with a walk along the bank of the Mekong. If you are so interested, have a Beer Lao or three that evening and enjoy a treat from one of Vientiane's bakeries along with a Lao-style coffee in the morning. Lots to see and do in VTE. You should have a great day.

I can't speak for the Lani GH, but we also had a lovely stay at the Mali Namphu on our last trip. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 02:53

• sarahg54

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

Thanks all, will try and fit it all in :)

#5 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 11:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have to ask, why would you fly to Bangkok and then take a long ride to Nong Khai and then go to Vientiane only to fly to Hanoi? Why not just fly from Bangkok to Hanoi?

#6 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 13:33

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Make sure that you have dinner at Chez Philipe, which is above Pimphone mini mart opposite Korb Chai Der. This is the best place in town at the moment.

#7 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 17:31

• sarahg54

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2009

madmac- i have asked myself the same question :) i guess i wanted to do it all overland but with only 2 and a half days to get from bangkok to hanoi this seemed like a good compromise...although if i had my time again i'd probably just fly :)

#8 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 06:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The problem going overland to Hanoi is there's just no easy way to do it. I have this problem as there is a dancer in Hanoi that I would really like to do some work with - but getting there from Mukdahan is a supreme pain in the ass. Basically the most efficient way to go is to go to Bangkok and fly. Since you are already in Bangkok...

Traveling overland I think is a good idea when you are doing it very slowly. A two hour bus ride to place X, a three hour ride to place Y, and so forth. Spending a couple of days or more at each place. But when it's a tortuous, long bus ride - well then it's just a tortuous, long bus ride. You won't see much, you'll experience a long bus ride (not fun) and it will basically suck.

#9 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 11:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.