Flag of Laos

Laos forum

help please!! visa's and travel!

• wordy

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

right got some very helpful advice on here before so please help again!!

ok, i'm flying into vientiane and want to travel down the mekong, see a lot of places, do the tubing etc, and then cross over into cambodia. Here are my questions which i think i have the answers too but i need to confirm - how do i go about obtaining a visa for Laos? can i get 1 at the airport in vientiane?? which seems to be my only answer as we dont have an embassy for Laos in the UK.

Secondly as a visa lasts for 14 days only in Laos, is it going to be possible to make it to cambodia within the 14 days limit (as i hear travelling thru laos is quite slow) and if not is it possible to extend the visa from anywhere near the mekong?? As i read somewhere its only possible to get extended visas in Vientiane and i wont be anywhere near there at the end of the 14 days (hopefully!).

Also as you travel further south in laos is it easy to get places to stay??!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 05:05

• Advertisement

• betska

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009
    Location Australia

You should be issued with a 30-day tourist visa on arrival at Vientiane .
    As far as I know, it is only at some land border crossings that you might only be issued with 15-day visas.

I travelled by bus from Vientiane all the way to Phomn Penh, stopping at Tha Khaek, Savannakhet, Pakse, Champasak and Don Khon before crossing the border into Cambodia.

Plenty of accomodation available when I travelled (March this year) The most awesome place that I stayed in my whole time in Laos was in Tha Khaek. It was called Inthira Hotel. A little over my budget at US$20 but this included hot American breakfast, crisp white sheets, soft bed & the biggest shower head that I have ever seen!

#2 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 05:53

• wordy

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

thanks betska!

how long did it take you to do your trip?? think i may have to check into your hotel! sounds ace!!

#3 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 06:02

• wordy

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

thanks betska!

how long did it take you to do your trip?? think i may have to check into your hotel! sounds ace!!

#4 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 06:11

• betska

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009
    Location Australia

It took me a week by bus to travel from Vientiane to the Cambodian border. I could have spent much more time in Don Khon - one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to! however, lack of power (fan stopped at 10pm) and shocking chest infection meant that I needed to move on. You could easy spend a week or so either there or on Don Det.
    Do stop by Champasak & see Wat Phu - worth the detour.

#5 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 06:38

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You get a 30 day visa on arrival. Take a couple of passport photos and pay in USD. You can pay by Baht, but the exchange rate is poor.
    You can extend your visa in Vientiane.

#6 Posted: 7/10/2009 - 13:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.